Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Settings for Fast Motion/Pans in Low Light
  • Just joined the group. I've been an enthusiast for a few years and moved to the GH2 about a year ago. I've done some pro-bono fundraising videos (stock camera-turned out well) but no where near the professional, full production level quality this camera can produce. One project this fall will be High School football. Fast motion and quick, field level pans, in what is poor field lighting at times. I'll be using the 14 -140 and 100 - 300 Lumix lenses. Last year was with 1080, 24p and had some choppiness and blocking in the higher ISOs. This year I'm thinking 1080, HBR 30p to smooth it out a little.

Question is: Will any of the patches help with quick motion in low light. I'm still working on post production techniques, but I'm wondering if some of the patches can help without alot of post-production. I just received 2-SanDisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s 32m disks and will be hacking for the first time.

Thanks

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Low light and fast motion don't go well together and for that matter, fast action and 1080-24 don't get along all that well either.

720-60 is what you need and a faster lens if you're going to be working in low light....although the 14-140 should be OK on a lighted football field.

That said, Driftwood, LPowell and Ralph_B have good settings for 720-60. Spend some time reading each and also look at a couple of fast action settings by other members. Do some testing on your own because that's the only way you'll find what works for you.

• Thanks, I was planning on checking out 720-60 to see how it looked. No new lenses in my future so I was hopping one of the patches might help. Just so many to explore.

I'm just wondering which ones to start with for fast movements in low light. Do any stand out in that area?

• My opinion...which will get you a cup of coffee along with 3.00 at Starbucks, is this:

Sanity 5 is the most stable of them all and gives outstanding IQ, but won't stand up to heavy correction and grading as well as others. In your situation, that's what I'd choose.

Flow Motion is next, gives a higher bit rate can be shot in H for more stability, so on.

Cluster6 Drewnet will give you stable (to a point) use in 720 and probably the most potential in post.

The reason I don't like to say "Use this" is because these are so close to each other, you have to look at fine details to choose one. I think I've tried nearly every one here and there is no one single best.

There is a lot of Genius here.

• Thanks, opinions, experience, and Genius from others is all I have at this point. Most appreciated. I'll try a few over the weekend.

• Shot with Canis Majoris Night at 1/40 (stopped flickering), F/4, ISO 2500, and 24L, with slight color correction in AE: