Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Replaced 5D footage on a shoot
  • Back in February, a director called me in to reshoot indoor scenes for her short film. The original cinematographer had used a 5D, but for a variety of reasons, the director wasn't happy with the quality (probably mostly to do with lighting.) I brought along my trusty GH2 with an early version of Cake, and this is the result. Note she uploaded it to Youtube only at 360p, and you'll see my shots from about 2:03 to 7:58.

• 11 Replies sorted by
  • @jokerzd2 So, the point of this topic is "Showcase." It's for people who want to get out there, and shoot things with their modified GH2, and maybe post for other people to enjoy.

I'm not responsible for the script, or the sound quality, or the acting, but I do try to make nice pictures. If I fail, then I hope to learn what to do in order to improve. I welcome positive criticism, so I can do better next time.

• @ahbleza your part looks pretty good apart from what I think is a change in white balance in-between takes? Or no change in-cam and different coloured lights..? It could have been corrected in post, though! But above all it shows the difficulty of lighting, I think.

• @ahbleza - The footage is great. The point is - there was a PERSON behind the former camera, regardless of the camera. To say he or she was replaced by you because of alleged bad lighting, followed by you pointing us to your "better" material is a dodgy behavior here. Cheer up! Two things are certain: taxes and that we ALL are replaced eventually. (and 2.5 - directors can be as flaky as snow)

• @bheath you're right. I should have been more diplomatic. We are all replaced--so true. :-)

• @ahbleza - Your enthusiasm shines through. Don't worry. I got fired once (and only once) from the biggest gig I ever landed. I was the second Unit director/dop on a major feature film. I flew myself there to meet with the (unnamed director). It was a dream come true and the footage I was getting them was great, the crew was great and all was well. When the director stared to clash with the star, she started firing everyone she could, including our entire unit. We were replaced by a LA based crew, never given an explanation or anything; so it was hard on the ego for me, but I'm above ground still, albeit a bit jaded by big movies and tv. BUT! after 25 years in the business, I'm still a wannabe, which is good, and that's why I bought a little camera like the gh2 - it's freedom in a small, plastic and glass box. Happy solstice! Give'r!

• @ahbleza : taken alone, your shots look nice, but indeed, the final product is crooked by this change of light/white balance. This is not meant as races-comment, but it's indeed more difficult to light black people :) So obtaining useable and agreeable images is a technical challenge that you managed well.

Questions :

• Which lenses did you use ? (and if you could possibly link them to the shots in this movie ?)
    • When the camera moves, there's stobing, is it due to the youtube format, or is this strobing noticeable on footage from the camera ?
  • And if i may add, the 5D operator is a lousy framer... i found your shots better framed. Just look at the end, outside, the close ups from the woman, this looks like a cheap TV-interview, just put a microphone before her mouth.

• Don't criticize the 5D. It's a better camera.

• @Zeko Thanks for the feedback. This is why I love this forum!

The primary lens was the Voigtlander f0.95 25mm -- I don't think we used anything else during the day of shooting. One challenge was the lighting -- we were constantly fighting with variations in natural light coming from the window, and we didn't have enough light to really black out the windows as I would like.

I hadn't noticed any strobing -- at least its not on my original footage. Where (timecode) do you see it at its worst?

And I agree, it's a challenge to light darker skin correctly. Any tips on this would be appreciated.

• @jokerzd2 Great user name :-)