Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Review of Canon XA10 XF100 XF105
  • 5 Replies sorted by
  • Nice shots Mr Bloom. If we get that XF codec in a DSLR I'll be very happy.

The video above is a good example of what you need to do to get shallow depth of field effect on a small sensor with deep DOF. Macro focus, background far away. I do the same trick with my HX9.

Dynamic range looked a bit limited though - highlights were a bit harsh looking.
  • The compression looks great, the sharpness in good light looks great, the colors are good, but DR,highlight roll off isn't as good as GH2 or 5D2. And ofcourse it's not a shallow DOF kind a tool. About 10% of times I wish I had a camera like these or a tm700 and despise using a dslr but the $$$ for the 10% for a starving student....:)
    By the way @EOSHD: cheers for that video you posted a while ago comparing GH2 DR to a 60D, cause that shot of the sunset that had cinema and then nostalgic profile was a shock to me at how terrible cinema's roll-off was compared to nostalgic, which my own tests confirmed and have been a happy bunny ever since:)
  • Interesting, I find the same. Cinema Mode on the GH2 is supposed to have 'smooth tones' according to Panasonic but I find the tonality of Nostalgia better.

Currently it is 'trendy' to extract high DR from a camera, but personally I don't like the approach. HDR stuff looks ill. Our friend in deepest darkest Cornwall, Sam Morgan Moore thinks it sacrifices tonal range and I agree. Sony pro cameras have a 'knee' setting which is designed to protect highlights, but it does so at expense of gradation from one shade to another so you get a nasty stepping effect.

Better to give up on DR, let the highlights blow smoothly with a nice roll off, than to try and hold onto them. I have tuned my GH2 to do same.

• Noticed the dinky american flags in the foreground. He is trying very hard to be established in the USA :-)
  • Hey Vitaliy, can't wait for Philip to do a review of the GH2 with the firmware- (when its puring like a v8)- (or is EV better now?)? Anyway- Philip should really plug in the GH2 PTool and take it for a spin.

On the Canon note- how does this review change your opinion of the GH2- its a bit like Apples and Oranges? (yet the Canon does seem to get a great DOF effect- but that is probably more to do with the camera man!)

Hope you haven't been watching too much Carlin lately! That guy could entertain for days!