Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Dust and specks inside new lens???
  • I received a supposingly brand new lens today and noticed there is quite some dust inside it. Besides that, I believe there are tiny specks as well on the second glass element from the back. I know dust gets into the lens after some time, but I wasn't expecting this with a brand new lens, that cost my company quite some money.

I haven't seen any problems on the footage so far, but it just doesn't feel right.

Should I return it?

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • I’d contact the seller first and arrange a return/replacement (that is, if the lens is critical for your production).

• @Mr_Moore. Thanks for the advice. I am actually in touch with the seller/producer now. Have you had any experience with dust inside brand ne lenses? To be honest, I never really cared and just shot (and never saw problems) with new lenses, but with this one I was really looking at every detail because it cost me/my company more than usual.

• It's going to get dust in it anyway once you start using it. You'd never notice or care about the dust if you didn't go looking for it.

• Yeah, it might be a completely psychological thing. Today, after having tested the lens a bit more, I am much calmer. Still, I'd preferred a "clean" lens out of the box.

• No, never saw dust in brand new lenses. Then again, I’ve had only a few. Most of my lenses are vintage (30 years old, or older).