Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Minimising hum and noise in your picture
  • Here's a trick I'd like to share with you. After shooting a relatively lo-light interview, I got back to the edit suite to find noise bars and hum all over the picture. Here's what I did to minimise it, which is effectively using phase cancellation as a de-noiser. Warning - this will ONLY work with a relatively static interviewee. First, edit your interview content onto the top track of 4 video layers. Advance the mark in point on your source clip by 3 frames, then edit onto the bottom video track. Repeat for the next 2 video tracks (so we have 3 layers that are 3,6 and 9 frames ahead of our top track. Apply a 50% superimpose effect on tracks 2 + 3. Then cut a soft edge mask out for the interviewee on the top track (video 4). The varied phase relationship between the video tracks cancels out a huge percent of the picture noise - try it, it saved this interview for me!