Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 - 3 urgent and important questions
  • Excuse me people, I have a question regarding the GH2 and I don't know where else to post it.

How do you know whether you've got the PAL or NTSC version? I'm in South Africa, which is PAL; however there is no guarantee that the shop has given me a PAL GH2 (this is Africa). I really need to check this.

Secondly, I have installed the 1.1 firmware successfully, but I can't find the recorded 25p high bitrate movie files anywhere. They are present on the camera itself, when I go to playback mode, but when I connect the camera to the PC the video clips are nowhere to be found. The DCIM folder is empty... When I record with the ntsc frame rates, like the cinema mode, manual movie, etc. I can access the 30p movie files on my computer without a problem

Thirdly, is there any way to change the aspect ratio to 4:3 and the resolution to standard definition (720 x 567) or standard high definition when recording in 25p? Or is 25p only available in 16:9 and 1080 x 1920 resolution?

Please could anyone help me with these three questions? I feel like I've bought a very expensive cat in the sack. (I'm a first year film student and needed a camera because the university does not lend cameras to first year students.)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • How do you know whether you've got the PAL or NTSC version? I'm in South Africa, which is PAL; however there is no guarantee that the shop has given me a PAL GH2 (this is Africa). I really need to check this.

This is absolutely unimportant, as you could switch PAL/NTSC.

Secondly, I have installed the 1.1 firmware successfully, but I can't find the recorded 25p high bitrate movie files anywhere. They are present on the camera itself, when I go to playback mode, but when I connect the camera to the PC the video clips are nowhere to be found. The

Spend some time reading about AVCHD files structure, they are present on SD card, believe me.

Or is 25p only available in 16:9 and 1080 x 1920 resolution?

Yes. But if you intend to deliver SD only no one prevent you do do it in your NLE (cropping and resizing, I mean).

• To find your files click the Private folder, avchd, then bdmv, then stream the files should be there.

• Record a video in HBR or 720p mode, and then check the properties of the resulting MTS file in VLC. The frame rate of the video will tell you if you have an NTSC or PAL body. You might also try looking at the sticker on the bottom of the camera. My camera says "C US". In any case, hacking with PTool will let you switch the camera between NTSC and PAL modes. Please see the FAQs: http://www.personal-view.com/faqs

AVCHD movie files are stored on the memory card in \PRIVATE\AVCHD\BDMV\STREAM.

You cannot change the aspect ratio or resolution of any of the AVCHD modes.

Read the GH2 manual. Read the FAQs here. Post in an appropriate beginners topic.

• Ah OK, thank you very much everyone.

I found the video files. I was panicking a bit, as I actually have to film two interviews tomorrow for a project that is due on Thursday. I wasn't using my brain, so I freaked out when I couldn't find the files where I normally look for them. I got the GH2 camera last week after everyone in the mall recommended it over the Nikon 3200 and the Canon 600D as a movie camera.

One last question though, before this thread can be officially declared resolved and closed forever...

It is said that the GH2 hack allows the camera PAL functionality and to record 25 frames per second. Obviously if one hasn't installed the version 1.1 update, the hack itself will not provide the High Bitrate Movie option in the movie menu, which comes with the 1.1 update. How exactly does the hack give the camera PAL and 25p support? If I install the hack, will the manual movie mode and the VGA 4:3 as well as the standard HD modes, etc. be recorded in 25p? Will I be able to record a 720 x 576 clip at 25p with the hack installed?

Basically I'm asking if there is any way, hack or no hack, to achieve 25p in standard def or standard HD with the GH2? Or will I have to borrow a friend's camera whenever I need to film in the PAL 25p, 720 x 576 format? I will read all about AVCHD on Friday, when I'll have some free time on my hands.

It's true, I could edit my clips from 16:9 to 4:3 in an editing suite, but whether I have the skill to be able to frame and plan my shots correctly while filming in 16:9 to allow for successful cropping later is another story...

I apologise for not posting in an existing thread. I am facing a bit of an emergency, so I did not spend much time browsing the forum first. It won't happen again, I promise. Thanks again for your replies, I appreciate them a lot.

• Read the GH2 usage FAQ. HBR mode is the only 25p on the GH2.