Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Friends don't let friends buy used Sony EX1 packages
  • OK, a guy I know has $3,000 burning a hole in his wallet, and wants to spend it on a used EX1 package. What should I tell him to spend the money on instead? And what reasons can I give to him?

I tried to suggest he wait for the FS700, or maybe even an FS100, but he needs an ENG-capable camera, and the FS100 just doesn't seem to cut it. What else should he consider?

• 20 Replies sorted by
  • EX1...WTF?

Tell him to get a GH2 and several lenses. And spend the rest on a trip somewhere to shoot great video.

• Hmm, $3K for a EX1 package dependent on package content is excellent value. They are an excellent camera .. it depends on his needs.

You said he wants an ENG capable camera .. that is not an GH2 imho.

Options for $3000 .. not much else at that price .. second hand EX1 sounds perfect for him

• He already owns a GH1, which I offered to help him hack, but he's looking for a package with decent sound, a great combo lens, ND filters, XLR sound, etc. So I'm thinking maybe the EX1 isn't a bad option at that price, and I can't really find any serious issues with it for what he needs, which is mostly 1080i50 for PAL European TV features and news packages.

• Everyone that shoots paid work should own at least one proper prosumer or pro camcorder. You just need that type of camera on certain jobs. Power zoom, Internal ND's and and integrated audio makes life easier.

• Exactly @Rambo .. it's cheese and chalk

• @Rambo Don't forget that the GH2 now has power-zoom capability....

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/8/29/panasonicfirmware

And I think it can be used with this lens:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/8/26/panasonic14-42Xpreview

• True about the power zoom, but usability is not similar. I love using my GH cameras, but I can't get the same control like I can on a proper camcorder switching between manual and power zoom, focus, exposure etc. Fingers are all in the right places on the controls all the time.

Rambo Camcorder.jpg
    960 x 540 - 94K
    Rambo Camcorder2.jpg
    672 x 378 - 224K
  • @ahbleza,

Don't forget an EX1 has Variable speed zoom and the lense offers a 14:1 zoom range, the zoom is close to silent. The lens is included in the $3000.

You get a decent sized sunshade You have a real apperture ring, and a real focus ring.

The EX1 viewfinder blows the GH2 viewfinder out of the water. The EX1 LCD blows the GH2 LCD out of the water.

$3000 second hand .. nothing to buy ..

GH2 ... rails .. audio preamp .. EVF or monitor .. ND filters (glass ones) ..

And still it won't be as easy or convenient to use as the EX1

This bity is debatable .. I concede all differing opinions .. The only thing the GH2 has over the EX1 is some aspect of image quality, Definitely not motion (jello). And the ability to use Primes.

If the AF100 was hacked by Vitaliy .. I would sell my EX1.

The EX1 will always be easier to use than a GH2 .. no matter what you do to the GH2. Therefore faster to work with.

If ENG is part of the equation .. forget the GH2 If it's all EFP, then a GH2 is viable and can/will produce better results

• Thanks all for the great suggestion and advice. I'll assure my friend that buying the used EX1 with relatively low recording hours is probably a good option for his needs at this time.

This is such a great community!

• For 3grand i would be all over it. can't go wrong.

• Interesting title.

Otherwise, guys, I really suggest to read first message in the topic.

As suggesting GH2 make you look like bunch of fanboys.

Different tools exist for a reason.

• I always associate ENG cameras with greats ergos and especially good shoulder mount. EX1 might be only camera made that ranks worse than GH2 in these areas. Power zoom? Yuck, that's one feature I'm GLAD the GH2 lacks. I'm a fanboy and proud of it. I'm also a former EX3 owner (was gonna write "ex EX3 owner...) and this is old technology, anticipate planned obsolescence. I think it's a horrible idea to buy one at that price. Asking for problems unless it's an EX1r. Fine cam in it's time but it's old. ENG is mission critical, I would never trust an old camera for that. No how no way.

• So @brianluce, what would you buy instead that fills the needs of the EX1 for around the same price point?

• I use an EX1 all the time for shoots that the AF100 or GH2 would force me to compromise. In ENG situations having the great servo zoom range opens up many shot options.

• For much less money and nearly the same image quality, a JVC HD200. Awesome ergos, real shoulder mount, you can get a firestore and have redundant recording to HDD and dv tape. But again that's an old camera. Not sure what 3k buys in a new cam.

• Btw, other option to consider is HDC-Z10000, 3D :-)

• I have 2 x Gh-13, AF100, EX-3. If I want to go ENG it's the EX3. The Fujinon lens, the ergonomics, the supersharp pictures the broadcast workflow, toughness... you can't go past it. (jeez the lens itself is worth $13K! More than the EX package) If I shoot doco's and video clips (Auschwitz, Deep purple/Black Sabbath) it's GH-13 @ 60Mbs and AF100... but when the action gets fast and unpredictable for ENG they suck! And the editor will hate your guts! Hope this helps.

• Hmmmmmm..... 3D. I have SMPTE award for 3D short film "Highly Strung" 3D ENG???? Not yet...

• Oh... For standard def... Panasonic DVX 100 with anamorphic lens. I think this is the best looking standard def camera!

• HMC150!