Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Broadcasters Opinions
  • HI, I have done some work with large international broadcasters. Most of this was done with Sony750's. What is the opinion of the large broadcasters ie Nat Geo, Discovery, etc, with regards to the hacked Panasonic GH2. How do they rate the footage, and what hack is best suited to this type of client. Does any one have any experience with this? Thanks.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Both of the mentioned have a list of approved cameras and the GH2 is not on it. I do work for my local PBS and they love the 1080 30 material but have never asked what camera I use.

• My documentary producing friends have nothing against the end product quality of the GH2. But they say that DSLRs are "fiddly' and they slow you down. This factor will matter to any broadcaster who agrees to any contract or pre-sales with you; you will be obliged to tell all interviewees, talent and sources who you're working for. The broadcaster won't want you to mess it up or give them a bad reputation.

However, I can think of exceptions: if you've proven yourself by working under pressure, or if the DSLR is somehow useful because it's discreet, etc, you might sneak it through the door as a "second camera" and never mention where it was used until it's all done & dusted!

Above all, it can help lots if any work you submit matches the corporate culture of the broadcaster and can be incorporated seamlessly into their existing work flow. This applies to concepts, treatments, scripts, storyboarding and even the "look" of the series it might be intended for. A few beers with the crew can help here.

• @subco

Who is that? I'm a fan of Globetrekker on PBS. They have some of the WORST footage...ever! Its kind of funky cool, but still....