Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Which hack is this?
  • It seems that I mixed the cards when importing the footage. I appologize for the "alarm". The text below is, therefore, without any meaning.

I've got a new GH2 from Amazon and wanted to check the difference between two hacks on two GH2s with same lenses (20mm Pana). I have 3D rig, so they can start recording simultaneously.

My intention was to check the difference between unhacked camera (just got from Amazon) and the one with Sanity5 patch. The result was somehow unexpected, since the files from a "new" camera were larger in average. I've checked them with StreamParser and here is what I've got from freshly bought camera on Amazon (see the first picture). The already hacked camera (with Sanity 5) resulted with the file which parameters are shown in the second picture.

Am I right that the newly bought camera was already hacked? There is 30min time limit on this newly bought camera, but it doesn't look to me the original FW. Does anybody know which hack is used? GOP seems to be 18 and all I frames are 1170000 bytes in size (in my opinion quite large). The cameras were in 24H mode.

As noted above, it was false alarm. Left picture is Sanity 5, and right picture is factory default video.

GH2_Original03.gif
    1297 x 683 - 113K
    GH2_Sanity5_03.gif
    1297 x 683 - 113K
  • 6 Replies sorted by
  • Yeah, it's been hacked. You bought that as NEW?

• Yes, bought as new on Amazon UK. It really seems new. I could not find any trace of previous use.

Sorry, it seems that I mixed the cards when importing the footage.

• I think you got a return.

• Maybe I'll still keep it since there is a relatively low disparity in frequency between both cameras. This is very important for stereoscopy (3D). I am still curious which hack/patch have they used? :-)

• Whichever hack they used it looks bad. I would just refresh it with whichever hack you have on the other camera. Like you said for 3D it is more important that they match than anything else.

• I agree with you. Matching the clip properties is important. I was just curious what kind of hack they used. I frames were really high. I shot a tree on a tripod and slowly moved the cameras. Otherwise, clips on both cameras look good.

As noticed above, I've mixed the cards. So it was false alarm (it was just the opposite - Sanity and default factory settings). Anyhow, I did not know that Sanity 5 is using so high and constant I frames (1170000 bytes). I am wondering if it is always using so high bitrate for I frames.