Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
An Undying Door, GH2 Short Film
  • Here is a short film that I was DP on last winter. Looks like he bought a GH2 to finish it off.

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • Lol, it didn't take me buying a GH2 (how would that help?). There was a process of getting the music mastered on top of taking on a full credit load for the semester. In all honesty, it was done and turned in last winter, but there were so many little mistakes (you not realizing that you were filming yourself in a mirror during a crucial scene/catching the shadow of a boom mic) that took a lot of time to correct just to make something that could go up online. But I can understand your confusion. Never the less, you're getting a blu ray copy for your work.

• Oh, I thought you bought a GH2, my bad.

• I didn't recognize some shots and assumed you'd done some pickup shots yourself. Did I really do all that stuff for the opening titles?

You're welcome to my GH2 anytime of course.

• All of those shots are yours,

• and I have a hacked GH2 as well, but it never hurts to have a multicam shoot. The same offer is extended to you.

• not bad. but:

Camera: some shots were a bit too noisy. Some shots weren't exposed correctly. Some parts had unbalanced exposure after the cut messing up continuity. Some shots were nice composed, some less but overall it was pretty good.

Editing: wasn't that bad but there were some unfortunate cuts here and there. For example the POV in the beginning of the girl looking at that robe, those cuts were a bit fast, unbalanced. The discussion between brother and sister should have been edited a bit faster with overlapping audio of the other person in the counter shots etc..

Sound: the girl wasn't as clear as the boy. At times I couldn't understand what she said.

Story: not bad

Directing: not bad but there are still many things to be learned

overall pretty decent! good job

• @2many thanks for the feedback. I'd be interested to hear what shots you thought were not as strong composition wise, as its something I'm really trying to work on.

It was a 3-man crew. Me with the camera, BSP directing, and one other gentleman operating the boom and recorder.

I'm still learning more every day about how to expose properly on the GH2. The high bit rate GOP1 settings change that game somewhat. I think I'm starting to lean towards a lower exposure than I was aiming for at the time of shooting this. I used to hold on desperately to my shadow exposure. For current grading styles, its almost a given that the blacks will get at least a light crush, and the GH2 with high bitrate holds an incredible amount of detail in the nether regions. But once those highlights are gone, they're gone, so I now try to hold on to more highlight.

It was a great production experience and I know I learned a lot from doing it. For example, I've now got more lighting experience, so in retrospect I know that even the most basic bounce would have made a big difference.