Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Strange noise patterns on GH2 stills
  • Hello guys,

I posted this in the offtopic, because it is about the stills now. I experienced some strange noise patterns on the still pictures taken at night with long exposures. It is like red, green and blue dots on the entire image. If I open the raw files in Adobe Brige (or in the camera), they are very disturbing, but when they loaded in Camera Raw, most of them are gone, but not all. I took exactly the same pictures with my Nikon D40X as well, which usually generates more noise than the GH2 in poor lighting, but the images from the Nikon were totally clear right after shooting. Things go even worse when I stop down it to a smaller aperture in the GH2, but in the Nikon, they still remain clear. My question is: is this normal, is it the characteristic of the NMOS sensor in the GH2 or something is wrong with this? If so, am I mistaking something or my camera has some problem?

Thank You in advance, Tom

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • This is normal. It's called "Fixed Pattern Noise" and it's a typical problem, with CMOS sensors in particular. Some high-end cameras have a function to compensate for this to some degree (black shading).

There are filters to deal with it as well, Camera Raw might have a preset one for the Nikon and lacking it for the GH2 (I'm speculating here, since I use Lighroom). If this is so, give Noise Ninja a try.

• Ok, thank You!