Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Macro Converter Test Shot(s)
  • The choice of macro converters available recently increased when Panasonic started to ship its 37mm filter thread macro converter, which can be mounted on a Panasonic 14-42mm Vario X pancake lens.

I had bought a macro converter from Siocore for the 37mm filter thread, earlier, and I would like to know how it compares to the one Panasonic is now selling (for more than twice the price).

To allow a comparison, I shot an object with many small details that many people should have access to - a 50 Euro bank note.

The focal length has been set to 42mm (the longest possible with this lens), and I tried to adjust the camera to object distance as narrow as posible, such that the autofocus was displaying a happy green frame. (I guess this distance adjustment method is not much more precise than +- 3mm, but that should be enough.

The center of the shot is aimed at the "roof top" inside the "5" of the "50", I think that is easy to replicate if you want to take another sample shot.

Light source was thermonuclear (the Sun :-), the aperture 10.

The attached image is the full frame as extracted from the raw .RW2 file (the only postprocessing applied while converting the RAW to JPEG was white balancing - no sharpening, no noise reduction or such).

I would be very interested to see results from other macro converters, especially regarding minimal focus distance / minimal object size.

50eur_42mm_siocore_macro_converter_small.jpg
    4616 x 3464 - 7M
  • 7 Replies sorted by
  • @karl that's insanely sharp. Here's one with Minolta 50mm 1.4 + macro tube ring (in not so good light).

Challenge: Can anyone get any closer of that star? ;)

P1030778.jpg
    4608 x 3456 - 4M
  • Canon FD 50mm +31mm macro tube ring:

_1000615.JPG
    4752 x 3168 - 7M
  • Canon FD 50mm + 31mm + 21mm + 13mm macro extension tube ring!

_1000616.JPG
    4752 x 3168 - 7M
  • @5thwall: Thanks for the links, really nice pictures, but I'm afraid that the very different objects shown there would not allow for a comparison with shots taken by others who do not have them at hand... :-)

@Kihlian: Very interesting to also see a sample where macro tubes (instead of a converter lens) were used - thank you! (Personally, I like about the converter solution that it does not require to remove the lens for mounting. I wonder whether there are other pros and cons regarding converter lens vs. macro tubes.)

@tonalt: I did not do anything special regarding sharpness, in fact the only postprocessing I did when converting the .RW2 into a .JPG (using RawTherapee) was to white balance the picture - no sharpening, no noise reduction, no other fancy stuff. (The demosaicing algorithm used by RawTherapee was "Amaze".)

• One of the best, old school. :)

Tokina 90 2.5 (same optik as Series 1). 2:1

p1010112.jpg
    4000 x 2672 - 6M
  • @Takumar: But you didn't use any macro converter or tube, but a full-blown macro lens, right?

I bet that lots of dedicated macro lenses can achieve better results than macro converters on a conventional lens, but their price range is somewhat different... ;-)