Personal View site logo
Best gear deals, direct from factories - CatchIt deals and Special deals. Also check Cameras, lenses, software, gear deals.
You support is vital for us. To keep this place ad free and independent, select one of the options below.
Donations are going to project support costs and work (hosting, etc).
I am spending good amount of time on it and your support allows to improve and expand this site.
contribution size
An african movie : Xala 1975 Ousmane Sembene
  • Let's discover this amazing movie !

Xala (pronounced [ˈxala], Wolof for "curse") is a 1975 Senegalese film directed by Ousmane Sembène. It is an adaptation of Sembène's own 1973 novel of the same name. The film depicts El Hadji, a politician in Senegal, who is cursed with crippling erectile dysfunction upon the day of his marriage to his third wife. The film satirizes the corruption in African post-independence governments couples with extreme penile failure; El Hadji's impotence symbolizes the failure of such governments to be useful at all

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • really great film! You should check out his film "Black Girl". Its on netflix, and I think it's his first film.

• Sembene is a master for sure, thanks for posting this. I really loved 'Black Girl' too and thought 'Moolaade' (2003) was a masterpiece too.