Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Olympus E cameras topic
  • 43 Replies sorted by
  • It is very important to understand role that Sony NEX played in all this year mirrorless announcments.
    Both panasonic and Olympus main goal was to copy NEX as close as possible.
    Same buttons configuration, same lenses style, similar flash.
    Despite all this it is good to have lineup of 12mm,14mm,17mm,20mm,25mm,45mm primes in m43.
  • Don't forget 8mm
  • I loved my E-P1, E-PL2. The 20mm from Panasonic on the Olympus gives you image stabilization, and is a great combo, fun to shoot with, amazing IQ.
    But I switched over to Panasonic for the video. The GH2 has better photos but no IS. I wish Olly would add 24p. On the other hand, I saw a clip on Vimeo of the Video from the new Olly and it looked very good indeed, obviously it isn't really tweaked for Video, but the image quality looked very good--it probably will have some jello, we'll see. The LL sensitivity should be fine with a good prime lens, I expect the colors to pop.
  • I wonder why Olympus doesn't include 50i (25fps) for PAL countries. They ship the new PENs worldwide with 60i (30fps). Ok, most consumers won't care. Still, it would be better to have that options to switch.
  • >They ship the new PENs worldwide with 60i (30fps).

Where you got this?
    Looking at official specification I see 50i also.
  • Oh, from the UK, German, Dutch Olympus websites. Which website should I look at?
  • >Oh, from the UK, German, Dutch Olympus websites.

Wait a little. I'll try to ask people who tested actual cameras.
  • It is very interesting to note that touch screen on E-P3 seems to be capacitive. First time for all cameras.
  • Really? It's like iPhone with m43 lens mount? Hopefully it doesn't shatter.
  • >Hopefully it doesn't shatter.

Well, even capacitive doesn't mean it has to be glass. It can be hard plastic with scratch proof coating. Still, it is a first, I think. Panasonic doesn't even use capacitive.
  • I like the look of the E-P3 (as long as it does indeed be 25fps here in UK) but am not very happy about its 799 euro price...guess I'll have to wait for price drops...or wait for the "Pro" GF...but Im guessing Panny will take the piss on its pricetag also.
  • Just stop buying anymore m43 gears for next few years... that's what I'm going to do. If it becomes popular, mass production will bring down cost of new gears. If it fails, used gears will become dirt cheap.

Also no more incremental updates. I wanna see a major leap in DR and gradation improvement. Panasonic has a long way to catch up Sony.
  • Indeedy! Thats why i still have my GH1...Currently i dont see much improvements and its been a good couple of years.
    I would ideally like to get a Nikon (80% of my lenses are niks) and enjoy some but they keep frustatingly falling short in the video dept.
    Nex again no manual controls.
    Olympus look like theyre finally delivering the Pen that they should of originally (how many cameras now?)
    Im torn between getting another GH1 or GH2 and see if the hack will happen.
    I recently bought a Sony HX9 for holiday use and its staggering how good the video is on this compact..they need to catch up on dslr side (and stop with this interlaced format)
    So what do we have currently EVIL/DSLR with manual controls in video?
    GF1 hacked
    GH1
    G2 hacked
    GH2
    Canon dslrs
    Oly EP3
    I know that DSLRs in general are supposed to be stills first video second...but you would think they would of caught up on the fact many are buying for video use more and more?
    For instance IF sony released a firmware update for NEX that allowed manual controls in video...watch the sales rocket.
    If Nikon fixed its issues with the D5100 it would be killer
    All im looking for is camera around 800 quid that has manual controls in video,solid metal body and video up to spec (dont even need to be 50/60p just 1080p progressive in its correct framerate in relation to the country its sold in) with viewfinder.
    So I want a hacked G3? hahaha

• If I were you, I'd wait...

Many are still using GH1 or GF1. G3... nah. I got GH1 and GH2 because I need B cam. No plan to buy a new body anytime soon.

But I can't deny it. It's fun to buy new gear :)
  • Hahah It is!...I havent bought a different camera for nearly 2 years now...Im in need of a change! haha

Some new footage of e-p3 and dont look too great ;-(

• Forget about great video from Oly. Their specialty is optics.
  • I'm eager to try out an E-P3 for still photography, it sounds like the best M43 camera since the GH1. Unfortunately, Olympus' built-in optical image stabilization doesn't work in video mode, and it doesn't appear to offer any advanced video features.

• Ah so cute!
  • @Mimirsan and @LPowell I'd pick GH2 over E-P3.

Once GH2 is hacked, I'm hoping for loading multiple settings so that I can change it on the fly from camera menu. e.g. Reliable-In-Camera setting to Max Latitude. Also more reliable 24p high bitrate.

I don't think either of you into Oly m43 AF lenses. GH2's MF shutter lag is only 0.077s that is faster than 7D's 0.083s. E-P3 could be faster, but GH2's shutter lag is fast enough. Also heavy MF lenses balance better in GH2.

Color tone is... subjective matter.

Touch screen.. who cares.

I bet GH2 will perform better than E-P3 in high ISO. GH2 has better sensor.

IBIS only for photo. This was true for All PEN models.

Swivel LCD and EVF of GH2 very convenient.

My next body will be a true L1 successor. Not just a body. The L1 kit lens, 14-50 2.8-3.5, successor, too. Noticeable raw improvement in DR and gradation!!! Nothing less!!!
  • I still prefer my 7.5 megapixel Panasonic L1 for still photography. Its live-view exposure and auto-focus behavior produce more predictable results than the M43 cameras I've tried.

P1040317-1280.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 385K
  • Panasonic L1 is a cool cam! Looking on the dpreview site image comparison tool, I don't see that the new Olly has better still photo IQ than the GH2, which I think is a step up from the GH1. You do get built in IS, though....
  • E-P3 missing dedicated ISO and WB buttons. I wish great success to Olympus PEN series so that they make enough money to build a true Olympus 35-SP successor that would leave X100 the dust. E-P1 to E-P3 took 2 years. Give 2 more years. I will be the one placing preorder for either L1 successor or 35-SP successor :)
  • @stonebat

Calm down. You can assign WB and ISO to other buttons (they have total 5 programmable buttons).
  • My mind is clear and calm. I know the world don't care what I buy or don't buy. But this is getting ridiculous. Eighteen m43 bodies over 3 years, but GH1 still having the best sensor score.

It seems clear what Oly and Panny are doing. Instead of targeting prosumers, they wanna sell more gears to compact owners. Why get suck into their game?

Patience is a virtue. Two more years will pass very quickly. I will be ready with lots of dough :)

Just my 2 cents!!!
  • >but GH1 still having the best sensor score.

I don't care about GH1 sensor score. It clearly has worse FPN, and that is more important for me, do not use 60fps in magnified view.