Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
MOV. container for MTS (Windows) - for SpeedGrade/Resolve
  • I'd really like to be able to use SpeedGrade. But it doesn't support MTS. It does MOV files. Since MOV is just a wrapper, is there a simple way to make a MTS look like a MOV? I know there is an app on OSX that does it. And I've read about some public domain shell type apps for windows, which was more complicated that 5DtoRGB.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • ClipWrap? BTW I haven't tried SpeedGrade.

• SpeedGrade just looks good for its Adobe integration.

Clipwrap is OSX. Is there a way to run it on a PC win 7 64 bit?

I know OSX can run PC apps with emulation.

• The video editor Lightworks cannot work with MTS files either, only MOV and MP4. As a result, someone but together a list of options for re-wrapping the video file here:

http://lightworks.wikidot.com/avchd-workflow

This is for Windows users. The last option seems the easiest, though I have not tried any of them.

• @disneytoy Have you tried working with a sequence of stills instead inside speedgrade (like tiffs or dpxs) ? As in export your mts file to stills from your NLE. I've not used speedgrade but I'm very familiar with IRIDAS Framecycler which does a very good job playing back stills. Using stills will more than likely speed up its processing a lot, and its playback should be good enough for you to know whats going on. To clarify, once you've processed, (started working on), the footage, the fact that you fed it a file in a mov container is not going to speed up its preview playbacks in any way at all anyway. In fact, it'll more than likely slow things down. So if you've got the disk space it makes sense to just feed it stills. This is the approach I use with both Scratch and Nuke on windows, and its a common approach.

@unconsenting Lightworks should support AVCHD by the end of may I think (for a small fee), I'm personally hoping its support is good enough that I can drop Premiere.

• @unconsenting

Success!!

Thank you for posting that - because I've been experimenting with importing mts into Speedgrade, and your method (the last one, as you pointed out) actually works and is very quick to wrap into the new format and produces a .mov file of similar size to the mts original. Once in Speedgrade it doesn't run so smoothly as (for example) footage transcoded with 5d to rgb but once buffered is fine. It's a really useful thing to be able to do when faced with a huge mts file which you'd otherwise have to convert in its entirety.

I appreciate the workflow is normally to edit the mts files in an NLE and then export as individual images or dnxhd or whatever, to work on the grading, but this is a useful alternative to that process.

EDIT: Done a bit of experimenting with something that required extreme correction and I'm not convinced the wrapping process above gives such nice images, compared with the same mts exported as a dnxhd .mov 422 from my NLE into Speedgrade.

@Stray, that process you outline sounds a better bet and probably a better workflow in any case.