Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Global Shutter on GH3?
  • "Global Shutter: One of the few things I got from my sources is that Panasonic is working on global shutter sensors. That yes could be implemented in a future GH3. To learn more about that technology read that pdf document at Caspegroup ." from 4/3 rumors

interesting stuff

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • How to tell it gently... most of this stuff is utter bullshit.
    Global shutter means big DR and noise penalty that no one will do currently (look at this BMC Fairchaild sensor specifications). Andrea is just running circles with this global shutter idea.

I'll give you simple advice how to read rumors.
    Before closed press events or mass sending of the bodies it is almost always just noise or company approved leaks only.
    But aftet this some real leaks can occure. If you see any specifications normally it means leak from the press, as all rumors sites try to hold connections with journalists who participate in closed presentations.

Btw, we have GH3 topic http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2561/gh3-rumors-topic

• Agreed. Give me more dynamic range and less noise, keep global shutter for future technology.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

What about a simple electronic first curtain shutter like the Canon and Sony cameras have? My understaning is that the electronic first curtain shutter doesn't degrade the image at all. Is that correct?

For longer focal lengths even image stabilization won't help the shutter vibrations.

I have been doing a lot of testing with the GF1 and GH2 for astro photography work lately.

I use an 800mm F4.0 scope that I can extend all the way out to 4000mm F20. However, the GH2 is hopeless even at 800mm for RAW photos because of the shutter vibrations. I have to use the SH burst mode or video mode to get decent images at the longer focal lengths.

The image below is a single low resolution jpg taken in SH burst mode. The RAW file has excessive blurring due to the shutter vibrations.

P1110293.JPG
    2334 x 1313 - 687K
  • from 4/3 rumors

A trusted sources told me that while it is true that Panasonic is working hard on the electronic global shutter technology they will not implement it within the new GH3. When the GH3 development started they had some hopes that they might achieve that goal but this will not happen. And he also told me that:

1) the camera is weather sealed

2) the major improvement will be the new Electronic Viewfinder and Autofocus speed

3) That the GH3 will arrive in late Summer (right before the Photokina show in September).

• As I told, you he is going in circles :-)

I am closing this topic to have all rumors in one place.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions