Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 Dark section on the sensor?
  • It seems that most of the sensor is somehow too bright, and the section on the right is the only area that is correctly exposed. I was shooting outdoors for the first time and a seemingly random array of my clips have this odd defect to them. I mostly shot 60p that day, and only the few that were shot in 24H are affected. Anyone have an idea of what this is? I've never seen this type of phenomena before.

Settings: ISO 160 24H 1/60 Cake 2.2 Sandisk Extreme 45mbit/s

Flaw1.png
    1703 x 955 - 2M
    Flaw2.png
    1701 x 956 - 2M
  • 6 Replies sorted by
  • As far as I remember previous such things it had been bad lens converter.

• I've had this problem before, it's a light leak from the adapter's release catch. In future, put a piece of gaffer over the hole and you'll be fine.

To correct my footage, I put a rectangular vignette over the dark area, feathered it and brightened it up to match the rest.

• @billthebutcher I had the same issue with this footage -

Ran a few tests and can confirm it is as explained by @vitaliy_kiselev and @rockfall You can confirm it for yourself by putting a canon body cap on and then holding a light near the catch. Should give the same washed out image with a dark line.

• @rockfall by "release catch" do you mean the lever to take the lens off the adapter? I'm using the Fotodiox Nikon G adapter.

• my method to identify and close ANY false light sourse:

attach lenscap

turn cam ON

high ISO

use strong flashlight from any direction

monitor LCD if any light visible

identify leak

close leak with e.g. gafa tape/security laque/paint/chewing GUM your taste/be creative

do NOT contaminate the inside of cam!!!

GO and SHOT!

• Yeah I meant the lever to take the lens off, it's a bit of a design fault!