Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Real cause of economic crisis revealed
  • Research, which questioned more than 1,000 people, identified that the majority of people in the UK actively listen to four-hours of music a day, which equates to more than 60 days per year.

National study has found that the average person in the UK will listen to more than 13 years’ worth of music before they die.

Via: http://www.facebook.com/AudioTechnicaUK

• 11 Replies sorted by
  • Lolol your the greatest! Productivity down! Add in video games and I think you are dead on my friend.

• Reading and posting in obscure forums might also be a cause. And dont forget about all those books! Or even worse: Silently sitting at home and reflecting about things.. what a waste of manpower. Its terrible, just terrible, we need laws to get rid of this!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev : It shouldn't explain the economic crisis. Au contraire! When I'm programming and need absolute concentration putting the headphones is the best way to get there.

Now, @Meierhans , he may be on to something...

• When I'm programming and need absolute concentration putting the headphones is the best way to get there.

If you are listening to recorded sea noises, it is ok. If you are listening to actual music you are badly affecting your performance. I surely remember research in this field, programmers are amongs professions that must not have any other thing requiring attention (and despite common misconception music require your attention).

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev You're one of the few people I've seen say this about music / attention, but I totally agree. As a musician I can't not give it my attention. I've tried working with music on and I simply can't do it.

• @Mark_the_Harp

I really think that we are overloaded in our modern world. Mostly with noise that mass media call "information" or "entertainment". Even worse is how people are now spending vacations. They try to travel, listen to unusual music, looking at new places, eat the food that your system just barely tolerate. It is not the rest, it is just even more overload.
    I much prefer get wooden house in forest near the lake, without any modern shit like 3G or Wifi. Pigeon post is enough.

• I've done that a couple of time in my life, just taken myself completely out of things. Its definitely worth doing as you realise how quickly you adapt to your environment, and how much your environment affects who you are. Also on coming back to the normal world you realise just how utterly weird our everyday lives are, once you've got over the 'wahhh, wtf?' panic of walking around your home city or town again and learned to readapt. Become who you are at home again.

• it's been said that the majority of our problems come from an inability to just sit quietly with ourselves, in ourselves and just be… and to not constantly seek to be entertained or just fill up the moments of our day by day with busy busy

• I think people are different and music can effect there productivity differently. Also depends on what your doing. Of course I'm the kind that notices a pin drop 30 feet away so music can drown out those unpredictable distractions and be ignored due to it's predictable rhythms.

• @mark_the_harp

Agreed. Listening to LVB as background music should be a criminal offense.

• @Vitaliy About music affecting job performance. Isn't it true that for some people music becomes white noise? You're not really "Listening" to the music, just using it a audio wallpaper? In this case would it affect programming adversely?

In college I often studied in the cafeteria because all the noise seemed to cancel itself out and sitting in a quiet library was anxiety producing.