Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Update issues after hack
  • Hi everyone, I have been a lurker here for quite some time after getting my GH2 last winter. Thanks for all the great work and research for getting the best out of our shoots!

The reason I'm posting: Since updating to the lastest 100 Mbps Flowmotion hack (which uses a bit too much space for my current project) , I can't seem to change my firmware anymore. Even with a full battery and the new file in the root folder on the SD card (named correctly of course), the cam simply doesn't show any update message. Going into play mode doesn't work either, nor did replacing the battery and restarting.

Is there a way to force the GH2 into update mode? What could I do?

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • Use other, freshly formatted SD card (but make one photo on it).

Use larger increment (say, 12).

Etc.

• Thanks for your answers! Tried all your suggestions: Two different, freshly formatted SD cards (with a new photo on them each), tried original firmware name GH2__V11.bin and renamed to GH2__V12.bin too.

Unfortunately, none of this makes a difference... I simply don't get any prompt for a firmware update.

• I had this issue once but it was because I put the card into the camera while it was still on.

• Try to reset camera.

Also try to make some pause, as usually you start to repeat things if doing fast.
    Document each step, check that firmware that you are writing in Ptool and one that you use are the same, etc.

• Thanks for all the input! Ultimately I was able to solve it by going back to stock 1.0 firmware, then applying 1.1 and the hacks after. So if anyone ever runs into the the same problem, this might be worth trying.

• I am having the same problem trying to revert to the non-hacked 1.1 ( I was getting lots of card errors with the latest 44mb hack on a Sandisk 32g/class 10 card). Does anyone have a link to the original 1.0 firmware? I have tried all of the other approaches and none worked for me.

• To go back to stock, just load the 1.1 firmware in PTool, and then save it without selecting any of the patches or loading any settings.

• Thanks Balazer, loading the V1.1 in PTools with no patches or settings present and then saving worked! This makes me think the camera is looking at the file date & time stamp to determine if the update is newer that what the camera has ?

• This makes me think the camera is looking at the file date & time stamp to determine if the update is newer that what the camera has ?

No, it is wrong idea :-)