Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Marshall V-LCD56MD
  • 1280×800 LCD monitor works well for single-user operating. It supports 720p resolution, which is a nice resolution to operate and pull focus with. However, it also supports the reception of a 1080p signal through both its HDMI and modular 3G-SDI inputs, so there is the inclusion of an improved pixel-to-pixel feature which blows the image up to show its native resolution. To show Full HD it will punch into the image, and smaller resolution it will center them in the middle of the screen. The default view scales everything down to 720p. However, there are also other scaling options that allow you to further adjust the image. An Input crop setting allows you to crop in to any portion of the image based on a customizable crop area that is user adjusted with the knobs no the front of the monitor. There are also aspect ratio crops for 4:30, 16:9, and full screen, as well as a custom aspect ratio crop that you can adjust using the knobs and is graphically represented by a scale.

An expanded marker function allows the user to set markers at the following aspect ratios (4:3, 13:9, 14:9, 16:9, 1.85:1, 2.35:1, 2.39:1), as well as show from 80% to 95% broadcast safe areas. Again, there is a customizable marker that can be user defined using the knob on the front of the monitor. Additionally the user can set line width, color, and transparency.

There are also multiple features to assist you on obtaining a well-exposed/sharp images. For exposure – there is the False color feature, which we have seen on prior models of Marshall monitors. It displays IRE based on a gradient scale of colors, from fuchsia (<0 IRE) to red (>101 IRE). This is great for seeing where you’re blacks and whites are clipping and there is a loss of information. Also to assist with exposure, there is a Clip function that displays over/under exposed areas with a Zebra filter.

Via: http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2012/04/13/new-marshall-5-6-monitor/

• 12 Replies sorted by
  • Nice. What's the price tag on this?

• I heard someone say this monitor is easy to color calibrate and could also be used as a budget grading monitor. Does anyone know anything about this?

• Any particular reason you'd want to grade on a 5'' screen?

• @mrbill Budget, pretty much. I can't afford a grading monitor right now, but I have to buy an on-camera monitor anyway. It would help me a lot if I could use this for both, even though it sucks to grade on something so small.

• @mlysbakken

It is really bad idea, as most on camera monitors can't compete with even cheapest IPS screen. And they do not cost big. Small monitors are mostly based on panels made for mobile applications. Making them not really good.

• @Vitaly_Kiselev I see! Still an interesting monitor, though, especially for working in different aspect ratios. It might not be correct to ask about this in this topic, but do you have any suggestions for desktop monitors that are easy to calibrate and come close to rec. 709? I've heard good stuff about the Dell Ultrasharps, amoung others.

• @Vitaly_Kiselev Actually, I just found out that the V-LCD56MD is an IPS monitor. Does that affect your opinion on it for color grading? Would it need a card like the Matrox MXO2 to receive a correct color profile from the computer?

• Has anyone used this monitor yet? How does it stack up against the smallHD's?

• @mlysbakken Why would you want to grade on a 5.6" screen?

• I bought it and it's quite amazing, to be honest :) In addition to being great for judging focus and exposure, it lets you desqueeze anamorphic footage as well!

@sam_stickland I would of course prefer to grade on a big screen, but using a 5.6" reference screen next to a bigger (but inaccurate) screen isn't too bad when you're on a tight budget...