Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Want to help test the GH2 in L.A. this Sunday April 15th, 2012?
  • This Sunday (2012-04-15 NOT Saturday 2012-04-14) we will be conducting the largest GH2 settings comparison to date, right here in the L.A. and Pasadena area. I figured I would start a thread here rather than cluttering other active threads with additional posts as the test developed.

So far, five people besides myself have either confirmed or said tentatively that they will be participating. This includes my favorite rental house/production company hybrid in the Pasadena area.

Even so - we can still use more people and more gear.

We need tripods, cameras, camera operators, lenses and (possibly most importantly) memory cards.

If we have enough duplicates, we will be able to test not only image quality but spanning and reliability when shooting the same subject with the same lens. Having more duplicates also means that we will be able to accurately shoot material that could not easily be compared by one camera alone. We may even be able to shoot both NTSC and PAL variations in one shoot if we have enough cards.

SO if you want to be a part of this AND help out your fellow forum buddies, please message me with a list of what you can contribute in terms of either time/skills or equipment. Thanks in advance!

• 41 Replies sorted by
  • Also, one of the cinematographer is considering the possibility of bringing a RED Scarlet to test alongside the GH2. We'll be shooting areas with a wide dynamic range, so this would give the RED Scarlet a chance to flex it's muscle a bit more as well as continuing the trend of testing how well it could intercut with the GH2.

Those of you with experience using the Epic or Scarlet alongside a GH2 are invited to send any advice you might have in the even this comes to pass. Thanks again!

• If you have a bunch of GH2's, I'd love it if at lease one was UNhacked.

• That is the plan. At least some of the tests will be done with unhacked stock settings and Firmware version 1.1.

• Assuming that we have the current expected number of GH2s, these are the settomgs currently at the front of the line.

-Sedna -Mysteron -Cake -GOLGOP -Sanity -Stock 1.1

• That's awesome. I'm from MPK, but won't be available this day. Looking forward to the results.

Is the production/rental house further north of alta dena?

• It`s off Lincoln in Altadena.

• @GripLimited Even if you`ll be busy that day, any equipment you could spare for the day would be helpful. We are short memory cards at the moment.

• Somebody pointed out that the day of the week indicated did not match the date, so I fixed that. It is still this coming Sunday, it is just that this Sunday is the 15th not the 14th.

• As an event like this is going to happen and in case enough people with their equipment are participating, it was really awesome if you also - along with the unhacked GH2 - would test an hacked as well as an unhacked GF2 (if available). I guess that would help quite lots of people who use it as a cheap backup cam or others who just are on a tight budget (as unfortunately not everyone can afford the GH2 with kit lense for three times the price of an GF2 with kit lense).

• I'd test flowmotion too

• I'd test eoshd too.

• If you can get me two more people with cameras, we will test those two patches. :)

Nobody that has signed on so far has mentioned using a GF2.

• I guess most of those people who signed on are too professional to use a "cheap" entry level GF2? But please go ahead and suggest it anyways, maybe there is a chance for it to work out. I am sure "normal" users (those who are not earning their living off of filming) would appreciate it a lot. At least I would. And who knows, maybe the results would be surprising - at least that is what in the EOSHD blog was stated if I remember right.

• @Jodan Don't give up. :) Just find me a GF2 user in L.A. that is free Sunday and they can participate in the test.

• Kinda hard doing that from Germany ;-) I just keep my fingers crossed and hope someone with an GF2 will join in. Either way, I am looking forward to your results.

• @thepalalias lets just hope the weather isn't too bad, it supposed to rain Saturday. Hopefully it will clear up.

• If you are short memory cards then you can just test with no adverse affects and use any memory card. I would suggest testing with it anyway but that is just me.

• @thepalalias

I believe we have a mutual friend. I have a couple of class 10 cards. They work fine up to 88mbps. I think I tried 100 range in home test for 10mins, but not in the field. What time will these tests be conducted? I see the date is now Sunday, but need to confirm with availability.

• @thepalalias PM sent...

It would be cool to shoot some behind the scenes stuff as well.

Maybe get a HPX250 or something just to reference a factory AVCHD-Intra codec?

• @mpgxsvcd @mrbill @jodan If everybody that has said they will be there shows up, we will be testing all three of these patches - we have enough people now. We will get to see how they compare to at least some of the others, though I cannot promise they will be included in every test.

• Would have been pretty interested in this--heck, just to meet some fellow GH2 shooters here in the area--but sadly I'm sidelined recovering from a major back injury. Have fun! Looking forward to seeing the results.

• @griplimited It's a small world. :) The test are set to be conducted Sunday evening. I would like to get sunset, twilight and night light. Cards that cannot handle higher performance patches will be used to test lower performance ones instead or to flash firmware. All cards are welcome. :)

@bhwitz I would be very happy if someone would like to shoot HPX250 or something similar for the BTS. I also responded to your message. :)

• @Grue How long are you out for? Maybe you can help with the (smaller scale) Canis Majoris testing next month. :)

Best of luck with your recovery!

• @thepalalias I commentet in the GF2 threads to hopefully find someone with a GF2 and pointed them to you and your thread over here.

• @thepalalias Yeah, depending on things, I might be a bit more mobile and able to contribute next month, thanks for the well wishes.