Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
12-45mm f/4 pro Olympus lens
  • I got this lens used in perfect condition for half the price, great deal.

It is amazing. From wide angle to portrait closeup. Constant f/4 with constant light when zooming. Face and eye detection continous autofocus works great if the person moves slowly. And the best thing: zoom ring is super smooth and it is PARFOCAL!!! A fast zoom for action scene or a slow zoom for a poetic scene can be done.

I think there is no best alternative to it. The combination of a good enough f/4 constant aperture with a complete zoom range, smooth zoom, parfocal and good continous face/eye autofocus, in a small and lighweight lens is just perfect.

It is not a great low light alternative but fast prime lenses are made for this, and a 2.8 zoom will not improve low light so much.

You can ask about shallow dof. Yes there is some background blur in 45mm f/4, enough to priorize the person face, but not too much. Shallow dof is not the main purpose of a zoom lens. This lens is great for video zoom, face focus tracking, gimbal and slider use, all focal lenght needed.

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • f2.8 is a full stopp better than f4. So you can go down a full "stop" on the ISO.

Not to mention the effects of diffraction in the MFT system and the resolution charts. Usually a f4 lens is softer.

• This article talks about the advantages of Olympus f/4 pro lenses, including sharpness:

https://fstoppers.com/reviews/four-outstanding-om-system-f4-pro-zoom-lenses-review-range-633818

I perceived it is impossible to get everything in only one zoom lens. 2.8 zooms is only 12-35mm range, no portrait closeup and expensive, or 12-40mm very big and heavy and also expensive. So you need to choose considering price, size, weight, zoom range, fstop, stabilization, smooth zoom, parfocal, and so on...

• @apefos

I don't believe that any of the Oly or Panasonic lenses are truly parfocal.

Most likely electronically controlled to give the simulation of parfocal.