Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Inside a film camera: total passion for photography
  • A wonderful video about following a dream... an obsession... working inside a very large film camera

If we bring 10% of this guy's passion to our own work, I think we should be satisfied.

• 13 Replies sorted by
  • impresive

• Simply Great!

• Definitely reminds me of the early US photographers who were around in the 1900s and sometimes used huge cameras. Lovely to get the passion in the video - and see the despair when things don't always go right, which is also a conseqence of passion. Amazing thing to be doing. Photography is so easy for most of us, and when he says each photo probably costs $500 I wonder how that would change our practice? I'm sure that's why people were pretty careful with 16mm film.

• Just plain awesome.

• Is it just me or does this video seem super scripted? Christ sakes he directed it HIMSELF! Self-whoring your work is what this video looks like. Yeah it's taking you $500 to take a picture, but how much are you making on them?

Also, collodion printing are in right now, he's just doing them bigger than other people. I'm not impressed.

• @headofmush

It seems like the chemicals that he is using are not safe and yet he is just trowing it around in the wilderness. I hate people that lose their shit like that you would think the dude is an..........amateur?

But despite the self-whoring it was an entertaining video, I also was curious and looked into collodion printing, looks like a fun experiment.

• Well, I admired the passion but hope he picked up that plate he threw away.

It is part of an old tradition though - there were horse-drawn studios and also I found a photo of one of those huge cameras they used in the early years:

http://robroy.dyndns.info/lawrence/Images/mammoth-camera.jpg

...unless that's a very early fake!!

• @bitcrusher Yes, I completely agree. Passion is one thing, but reacting that way over some bumps on the road is very unprofessional. Especially with other people around assisting you, he needs to develop emotional maturity in this business. Bumps are inevitable. It is likely that he wanted to stage drama for his video also.

On another note. This video may spread knowledge of collodion, and more people may start doing collodion because of it. But what about the people who have had an actual passion for collodion for years, they will just be mixed in with the fresh crowd of sudden collodion fans, doing it because it 'looks cool.'

• @headofmush Really! He's not a proffesional he's someone that's puts everything into it. Passion is a strange brew.

• very impressive! :)

• I'd hate to see some backpacker come around that boulder and get decapitated by that metal plate he threw...

• total passion for being different and cool