Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Energy: More issues in EU
  • Europeans continue to suffer from the consequences of anti-Russian sanctions - in France, utility rates have increased by 483%, and Germans are advised to stock up on warm blankets to survive the winter

Prices for everything are rising in Europe, and France is no exception. Considering that inflation in the country is one of the lowest in Europe, the French have to save on absolutely everything. For one owner of an apartment of 50 sq. m bill for light is 2000 euros.

In neighboring Germany, the picture looks no less depressing. Record inflation for 40 years, as well as the rapid rise in prices for products (20% in just a month!) are pushing the country's government to take very unusual measures. As Handelsblatt writes, the German Interior Ministry offers the Germans to buy all the essential products now, especially to stock up on chocolate, tea and a blanket, because Germany cannot guarantee citizens that next winter it will be warm in their apartments. Also recently, pragmatic Germans were offered to collect rainwater to fill the toilet.

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • I have been reading here for over ten years (Edit: or almost?), and was always quite impressed by your technical skills. But as this post left me very surprised, I felt that I can contribute a German perspective and made an account.

Whatever your source is, you should start questioning it.

Germany is preparing to be cut off russian gas, but there will be no gas rationing (and thus no cold winter) for civil society in Germany: https://www.tagesschau.de/wirtschaft/verbraucher/gas-notfallplan-wirtschatftsministerium-101.html

I found the Handelsblatt article and it is misrepresented to the point of disinformation in your quote. https://www.handelsblatt.com/politik/deutschland/interview-innenministerin-nancy-faeser-es-ist-auf-jeden-fall-sinnvoll-einen-notvorrat-zu-hause-zu-haben/28290850.html

She said "Denken Sie zum Beispiel an Cyberattacken auf kritische Infrastruktur", "Wenn tatsächlich mal länger der Strom ausfällt oder das tägliche Leben auf andere Art und Weise eingeschränkt wird, dann ist es auf jeden Fall sinnvoll, einen Notvorrat zu Hause zu haben."

"Think about cyberattacks on critical infrastructure, for example," "If there's actually a prolonged power outage or some other kind of restriction on daily life, it's definitely useful to have an emergency supply at home."

About the blankets and toilets, I don't even know where to start looking for it.

Inflation is however starting to hit some people that depend on social security here, which has not been adapted yet. On the other hand, the government is starting to raise the non-taxable income in response and there will be a "9 Euro ticket" released soon, which will enable Germans to take public transportation for 9€ per month for a while, which should dampen this and the higher petrol prices a little.

Overall, while it is costing Germany money, according to my observations in Germany, quality of life does not seem to be under serious threat. Sunflower oil is usually sold out, however, and some supply chains seem to be impacted.

• @Vierteltakt

Whole post is quote, if you notice, not my text.

Thanks for local update, it is always welcome, but I think i'll be soon very bad for Germany.

• Noted. However, I couldn't find the source with a google search.

It will surely have a longterm impact. Money keeps being diverted to military causes and to dampen the effects of covid, supply chains impacted by the conflict and embargos, money that could have otherwise been used for more sustainable investments.

It was just announced that there will be enough gas in the winter under current conditions. That is, of course, if the situation does not change. https://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/DE/Fachthemen/ElektrizitaetundGas/Versorgungssicherheit/aktuelle_gasversorgung/start.html

• @Vierteltakt

It is translated Russian source.