Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Heavy Duty Tripods Help
  • I've been looking to no avail for a good heavy duty tripod that can support 10 lbs or more, preferably without a fluid head. For around $150. Can anyone recommend a good one for me? Any help is appreciated.

• 22 Replies sorted by
  • Data is not enough. Do you plan to shoot videos, or photo only?
    If you mean videos, I doubt that good legs exist in your price range.

• You mean just the legs?

• I have the Fancier with the shorter, heavier legs, as well as the one with the longer, lighter legs. The heavier one is more stable. The fluid head is very good and you can disassemble it and change the oil to make it lighter (I prefer the slightly stiffer feel).

• @DrDave

I think that you mean F717 head.

• The OP said "without a fluid head". I'm guessing he just wants the sticks.

Beware of newer sticks because most of them use "latch" type locks (usually made of plastic too). I wa on a small shoot a while ago and they had the top-of-the-line manfrotto sticks which were light and strong but we also put a heavy jib on them and the plastic latch-locks couldn't hold the jib up. The sticks kept sliding down every time we moved.

I have an old set of all aluminum sticks with compression style clamps. I've been able to put a lot of weight on these without them sliding. They are just really heavy to lug around compared to the new stuff.

• I'm using the tripod for video, something good enough to sufficiently support my rig/matte box/monitor combo (around 10+ lbs). I was looking at the WF717 tripod, but there have been comments about screws breaking on them or something. I wouldn't mind getting both the legs/ head together either.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev What are some entry level video legs that you'd recommend? I'm willing to pay more if a budget brand isn't an option.

• @svart Thank you for the heads up! No latch locks it is. I'm afraid to get any light weight/ carbon ones, my assumption has always been that heavy tripods = support heavy stuff?

• I have a set of Davis and Sanford tripod and fluid head, FM18 series2 head. They are under $200 and in your price range. B and H have them, as well as many others. One of the best fluid heads I've ever used for an under $200 full rig. I believe they are a clone of a much more expensive brand ($1000+), quality performance without the price tag for brand name. I chuck these in plane luggage all over the world, just in it's own bag, never had any issues. It is rather heavy, but that's good as you said. Will handle up to 18lbs.

3 Years old and still going strong, little bit of corrosion on the cast alloy where the paint is chipped, but i shoot on boats and on the beach 95% of time.

They even through in a W3 dolly http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/838216-REG/Davis_Sanford_PROVISTA18_Provista_Video_Tripod_FM18.html

838216.jpg
    500 x 500 - 84K
  • +1 on the Davis and Sanford

I have a FM18 as well as a Fancier 717/6663A. The D&S is a much better tripod all around. Mid level spreader, bag and 2 plates. Owned the D&S for 6 years.

The only annoying thing about the Davis and Sanford is that sometimes the knobs run into the tripod when you're adjusting. When that happens you have 2 options. Either just use a screwdriver or figure out that the knob is on a spring that lets you pull on it, twist past the obstruction, and then adjust.

• Yeah forgot about the extra mount plate, only found it in the bag 1year after i bought it...haha. Also you get 2 handles as well, one for either side and 3/8 and 1/4 adapters to fit any camera. Once you own a ball head no going back, instant level adjustment independent of the legs.

• @Rambo @dirque Awesome, that tripod looks like what I need. Thank you for your help!

• I have one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bogen-Manfrotto-Aluminum-Tripod-Support-Legs-3046-w-3063-Tripod-Head-/270942746181?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item3f15723645

and one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOGEN-3033-TRIPOD-W-3063-HEAD-/300553685751?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item45fa654af7

I love them both. Keep looking on EBAY and you can come across some deals on them. I compared mine to a 717 a friend has and I still like mine better. They are just a lot heavier.

• @svart

I think Weifeng also produce copies of both legs (mosly sold under other brands).
    And they are heavy, yes.

• Slik 504QFII is about $130, but it does not let you weight it down and it includes a fluid head. It is exceedingly light, so good for day where you hurt your back but still need a tripod (or when you need a second tripod that you have to carry on your own). Not as stable as more expensive ones but I have used it with 15 lbs of equipment before.

In other words, it is the cheapest thing I would put a heavy camera on and a great value when you need something light, but the other options sound like better fits.

• @svart, I've got an old 3046. Had it for a long time. It was around $75 on ebay I think. Heavy and steady.

• Yeah, I actually like the heavy tripods because they don't twist as much when you pan. Sometimes on the light ones they'll give a little when you first start turning and then they'll "snap" back giving you a slight hitch in the pan. I scored an old unlabled100mm bowl tripod for like 50$ on ebay. It's like 20lbs of tripod but once everything is tightened up on it, nothing budges at all. I love it. I ended up getting a few more of the 3063 heads so I could use the same quick plates on different cameras.

• The value of a heavy tripod cannot be underestimated...I just went on a video shoot a few days ago and got some beautiful shots of the Charles River here in Boston...unfortunately it was extremely windy and at one point as I stood on a bridge I had to actually hold onto the tripod head to steady the camera as I panned. I deleted about 20% of the footage due to shake.

• Those 3046 tripods are looking really nice. I kind of want those bogen quick release and of course the build is probably not so shabby either. Will keep a look out for them.

• When you pan and tilt on the Davis and Sanford, you will know you made the right decision, so smooth. Bowl and ball tripods are so quick to level, about 5 secs. from the time you place the legs on the ground.

• Have a look at the Ravelli AVTP 55" tripod. It's rated at supporting up to 27lbs, and I can confirm that it supports my own 20lbs rig beautifully. The fluid head is very smooth, but even all the way opened up there's a fair bit of resistance. The tripod is also heavy - about 13lbs. Still, for $150, I consider it the best deal on a heavy duty tripod.

http://www.amazon.com/Ravelli-AVTP-Professional-Camera-Tripod/dp/B00139W0XM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335928097&sr=1-1

• @Sangye Yep, it is cheap Weifeng rebranded tripod.

• Has anyone used a Quickset Hercules? Asides from large-format photography and astronomy and it's commercial/military background, I have read/heard zero percent about it's uses for cinematography.

What's everyone take on it? I know it can hold a serious amount of weight, has a geared head for pan/tilt (appears to be smooth from the only video I saw), and contains an elevation gear.

Are they to be avoided? I've been hearing crickets from this one...

Quickset Hercules.jpg
    1064 x 1600 - 285K
    Quickset Hercules 2.jpg
    1064 x 1600 - 304K