Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Standard Definition Hack settings?
  • Hi Guys, I've been asked to do an all day shoot at an Eisteddfod, about 11 hrs. I've been told that the previous guy who did it edits in between acts and burns DVDs on the spot for same day delivery. So, Ive still got a Sony cam that will shoot SD mpg 2, so that should just drop on the Vegas timeline and No-recompress render out, I know I cant make my GH2 record mpg2, but if I could patch it to shoot 720x576i avchd, at least I wouldnt have to deal with resizing artifacts etc. Not to mention file size advantages, and the output render would be pretty quick on an i7 laptop anyway. thanks for any help.

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • Nothing is worth watching for 11 hours straight.

• LOl, I know, Im already thinking it may have been a bad idea accepting this one.

• If you are that pressed for time and need SD resolution MPEG-2, I say go with the older cam. Clearly visual quality isn`t the priority on that job.

The other option is to try to convince them that higher quality takes longer and show them just how much better the images look by comparison.

Clients often feel better about things like that when they feel like they have made the choice than when it feels forced upon them.

• Downscaling to SD and rendering to MPEG-2 should not be an issue. Go ahead and shoot 720p, drop it into your Vegas 576i project, and render to 576i. With the right settings, rendering speed will be fast enough.

• Agree with Balazer, MPEG-2 out of Sony Vegas is a fast render and if you're using Sony DVD Architect to write the DVD, make sure it is in the MPEG-2 format Sony DVD Architect will accept (has it's own template), it's fussy. I do SDE's a lot in my game, test everything first before the event right thru to DVD playback.

• Or, heck, shoot HBR 25p and burn beautiful stuttery progressive 576p DVDs. (same thing works from 720p)

• Thanks for the suggestions guys. I know it would work at 720p, 1024x576 (square pix Pal) isnt that much of a stretch from 1280x720. but, is there any reason why a custom firmware cant make a 1024x576 size frame? sensor limitation maybe? just wondering now....

• @s_maurice

Shoot MJPEG and then you can set the frame resolution to anything you want. It even has a 4:3 mode that allows you to select any bit rate and any resolution you want. The actual resolvable resolution never really gets above 700 lines with MJPEG. It still looks better than DVD quality though.