Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Shooting short feature with RED ONE and GH2
  • I'm shooting B-roll this weekend for four days with my GH2, and the DP will be using a RED ONE. Which settings file would best match the capabilities of the RED, and what other settings should I use? It will be very interesting, as I will be shooting much the same angles, and will have a great chance to compare footage under identical lighting conditions (but different lenses.)

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • I'd suggest to adjust the RED footage to the GH2, since the R1 is superior in grading capability due to resolution, codec and DR (if MXed). It can simply take more extreme grading than the GH2. BTW, shoot 4K HD, not 4K on the R1.

Use the settings best fitting the lighting situation on the GH2, like "Dark Matter" for low-light and the different incarnations of Sedna for everything else (with the 64 GB fast Sandisk, nothing else). Convert to ProRes HQ or even 4444 with 5DtoRGB if you are editing on a Mac or go native for both cameras with Premiere Pro CS5.5.

Make a test if you like all on -2 better or some mild in-camera sharpening (only for Driftwoods matrizes). Both cameras will look relatively soft (the R1 does no in-camera sharpening whatsoever) and may profit from some subtle sharpening in post, when grading is done.

Under controlled lighting and careful exposure you'll be surprised how close you can get them. Use the GH2 for the tighter shots and the R1 for the wider ones, since it holds more resolution and can even take some re-framing.

• I'm going to be working on a tutorial for this soon. Matching Scarlet-X to GH2 and testing how intercuttable they are.

• Now with RC-3 and RG-3 out for the Scarlet-X, the OP's results for a R1 may be very different.

• I think there is some great advice. I would just re-emphasize that you should pretty much bet on needing -2 for contrast since you will be chasing the RED One for dynamic range.

• Thanks everyone. We finished shooting, with all settings at -2, and will see how things look after we have graded. I'll post a link when we have some nice footage together.

• Thank you.. Looking forward to it!

• OK everyone, here's the film I produced last weekend, shot with a mixture of RED and GH2.

Our new film, shot last weekend, edited this week. Locations in Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn and Long Island. Enjoy and share!