Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Western Digital destroyed ton of Live HDDs via update, tells media about hackers
  • An update that destroys the NAS and deletes all data began to arrive yesterday, for many it flew in this morning.

WD now want to avoid financial responsibility, so send all friendly media message about abstract hackers.

But it is not hackers, it is "gender and race neutral workforce" first results.

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • "Western Digital has determined that some My Book Live devices are being compromised by malicious software. In some cases, this compromise has led to a factory reset that appears to erase all data on the device. The My Book Live device received its final firmware update in 2015. We understand that our customers’ data is very important. At this time, we recommend you disconnect your My Book Live from the Internet to protect your data on the device. We are actively investigating and we will provide updates to this thread when they are available." - Western Digital

At least installation of this uses standard WD update mechanism.

• According to a new report, hackers have exploited a 0-day bug, not the one discovered in 2018, to mass-wipe WD My Book Live Devices. It appears as though Western Digital intentionally removed lines of code that would have prevented it. A developer from the Western Digital team actually coded a requirement for a password before a factory reset was performed, but that requirement was later removed.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/06/hackers-exploited-0-day-not-2018-bug-to-mass-wipe-my-book-live-devices/