Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
FIX to stop the GH2 Viewfinder / LCD from Changing
  • We all know how the Viewfinder /LCD panel changes color/gamma when going from standby into record.

Well, today I stumbled upon a way to stop that from happening. Go to page 4 of the Custom menu and set CONSTANT PREVIEW to OFF.

That's it.

Now the viewfinder will appear the same in standby as it is in recording.

• 16 Replies sorted by
  • that's it?

• Get the flunk outta here!!

• does this change the HDMI out?

• it didn't work for me... but the new firmware shows much less color/gamma change anyways and it doesn't bother me anymore.

• I just tested it and at some point I had already turned this off. Still see a change either way.

• Maybe there's some other setting that's working in conjunction with it. But on my camera, it's now dead equal.

No, it doesn't change the HDMI out. That was the first thing I checked.

• it didn't work for me either.

• Ok histogram jumps slightly.

• i always had mine set to OFF but there is the gamma shift, so doesn't work in my case. Mind you, the gamma shift is really visible on the lcd screen, the viewfinder is for practical purposes the same as when REC, it's the lcd that is quite different and brighter than when you record.

• To alter the shift of the LCD, go to setup menu (not custom) page 2 and change the setting from auto #A to #1, #2 or #3. Not the gamma shift, just the brightness.

• tried Rambo's suggestion too by changing from auto to #2, but it didn't work for me, still evident gamma+green shift on lcd. cheers all though, sigh...maybe panasonic won't act so retarded in the future...

• Sorry, false alarm. However, setting CONSTANT PREVIEW to ON does affect how the viewfinder / LCD behaves when you shoot with shutter speeds faster than 1/1000 sec. Basically, it's not good. If set to ON, the viewfinder doesn't respond to shutter speeds faster than 1/1000 sec when in standby. When you hit record, suddenly the viewfinder jumps to the real exposure.

I was shooting in bright daylight at 1/2000 sec and wondering why the viewfinder was acting so bizarre.

When CONSTANT PREVIEW is OFF, this doesn't happen - in standby, the viewfinder does respond to shutter speeds faster than 1/1000. So, CONSTANT PREVIEW = OFF is the correct setting.

• Hi there, from what i see, it';s seems the histogram shows 0-255 at preview and then while the recording, the actual value of REC709 is shown, that's why the 0 IRE shifts to 16IRE and same to the 255 pulls back to 235. i did this with both careful lighting to put value just hit the 255 and 0. however, the colour shift to slightly green while recordng --- i dont know why. K.M. LO

• See http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2636/gh2-and-itu-709 for discussion on the Y' channel shift.

This note by Vitaliy might also point you in the right direction about the green shift. Sensor mode changes.

• Did you guys ever find a solution for this? Here is an extreme example...

http://vimeo.com/hatfieldmedia/review/38071090/cb4ff5a762

• I've noticed that if you have a monitor hooked into the HDMI port and you move an object in front of the viewfinder sensor (thereby turning the LCD off and the viewfinder on) the HDMI monitor shifts to what it will be when you hit record.

More basically, if you have your hand in front of the sensor and hit the record button, your HDMI monitor will not change.