Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
EU: Youth Unemployment

Soon chart will become similar for other EU countries.
    Indicating that many of the young people are not required by economic now.

y_unemployment.png
    914 x 663 - 337K
  • 9 Replies sorted by
  • Dynamite. That´s what all the leeches forget about.They may be happy today, but will loose bigtime soon.

Pretty sad.

• This is just one indicator of global problems. Not financial ones.

• And I'm one of those young Spaniards without job :) . Just doing what I can with my GH2, my knowledge and of course, thanks to people here.

Kinda getting the hell outta here ASAP. Problems as we all now are much bigger than they want them to appear just as of now. All the economy is *ucked up here, people still care more about having 2 crappy F1 GP's each year instead of youth unemployment. And it shall get worse...

PS: In my island, unemployment's reached a magic 30% level. Investment in culture (where we get the money for making movies) has been reduced over a 70%, government says "culture should be financed by private money". Hell yeah, bet you try. Most of the movies produced here are a result of a law that says TV entreprises must invest a certain percantage of the proffits for movie making.

Oh shoot...

• One of the global problems is that this young people have nothing to offer on the global market.
    Have none of the unique skills.
    Ideas of startups and firms are usually just waste of time and money and have no relation to actual needs.
    Salaries and social level are not low enough to work on low skilled job.

In other words, globalization has big pluses, but huge minuses. And biggest of them all is that return of private protected autonomous mode is nearly impossible as it'll mean huge life level drop, and, most certainly, revolution.

• @Raysito22 So when a young Spanish kid talks about "Getting out of here", what do you guys think of? Germany? Asia? Where do the pastures look green. I'm investing in some basic things right now. For example, I just started a small ice business. Things don't get more basic than ice. Cold H20. Keepin it simple for the future.

• Expatriating can be a workable solution if you bring something unique to the table that the locals do not have or cannot offer. Speaking the local language is a plus but that alone is not sufficient: after all the locals will always express better in their own language than any foreigner can, and they are lower paid. I have worked as an expat in France, Germany and also in Singapore, Japan, Korea, Japan during the past 20 years. The environment is the most dynamic in Asia. Indeed, the 21st century belongs to Asia.

• @brianluce Just saw this. Well, engineers do go to Germany as Spain's got really good ingeneering colleges. Other than that, Finland, Sweden...but just a few have the balls to go out. Education is the biggest problem here. Some recent news, 10.000 million euros were cut from Education and Culture (that's what I care about the most), people thought it was just the normal economy cuts...now just 2 days ago, our marvelous president said Bankia (a Bank that was formed last year, and which was a result of the union of lots of local banks with big problems) would need 7-10k million euros to be saved. Hah! 2+2=4 no matter what Radiohead say. Education and culture money going to a bank is way out of my ethics, even though I understand the logic.

I'm not saying where do the pastures look green, I just can say it can't get "blacker" than here (with the exception of Greace). We are in a situation were a real revolution could have started (and I'm sure if this had happened a few decades ago, some heads would have been cut off), but it didn't. And "the country", actually a 30% of the total possible votes, chose the right side of the balance, which hates culture and education.

I don't belong here anymore, filmmakers, almost anyone in the industry, feels just as bad as I do, and it's not about getting or not getting the money, it's about where is the money we had going now. Where are the promises that were made before the elections. Not to tell you promises made just 2 years ago. If we cannot let our art happen here, we'll just do it elsewhere. And more than probably, people will appreciate it more, as, just as I said before, eduaction is a REAL BIG problem here (not knowing languages for example, a city 30km away from my home where more than a 60% of <18 girls have children, and more stuff like that, you can expect people here don't give a shit about indie movies...)

Just don't believe what Spain looks like from the outside. We've got real big troubles and nothing's gonna change. Education and also health are turning semi-private, we now have to pay for reciepts even for a cold, classes at school next year will have more students per class (to put an example, superior studies of Photography, 30 students last year per class, now 35 or so, which means more people per camera, per studio, per computer)...

And so on and so on. Yep, I'm going outside the country in a year, I don't care where, nor the money. Just need fresh air, it's just way too much.

• To contribute a viewpoint from a very different position: I am working for a company in Germany that has a very hard time filling its vacant (IT expert) positions. Germany is currently at a historic (25-year or so) low regarding unemployment rates, and a recent news article reported an almost zero unemployment rate for IT experts. We are actively seeking for candidates from other European countries, e.g. via our subsidary in Spain. Of course the language barrier is non-neglectable, it's kind of impossible to integrate someone into a group of German IT experts who does not fluently speak German or at least English (or better both, since internal communication is mostly German and communication with international colleagues mostly English).

That said, it's not like Germany is a land of rape and honey - there are plenty of well paid jobs for highly skilled experts, but at the same time the salaries and working conditions for less skilled people are today certainly worse relative to others than 20 years ago - and the same is true for jobs that may require a lot of skill, but which are way too popular to ever see a lack of candidates - like e.g. architects, pop stars or, well, also photo-/videographers ;-)

• Germany really is a terrific country. I love the work ethic there. I feel it instantly when i drive across the border.

That said : Germans need to learn solidarity. It means giving away of their own wealth to help other nations. You cannot as a country have all this skill and potential, and then act selfishly. It will lead to self-destruction.