Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Newbie Hacker: GH2... Need to know more about the whole tweaking/hacking thing
  • I am a videographer that bought one of the first USA shipping GH2's. I am using it for corporate video work. Very little stills if any (kids birthday and stuff... otherwise, all video work).

My business partner uses a Canon 5D mk II, and I told him the pany was suppose to shoot as good as the MK II.

So I am researching how to improve the GH2 video, and downloaded the Panasonic GH2 Guide for Filmakers by OSGFilms. So far it has helped a lot to understand the GH2 for video. I have downloaded, and I think I successfully installed the GH2__V10 hack he links to. I re-named the file I uploaded to the GH2: GH2__V11, but the version in the system on the camera still shows Version 1. Not sure that matters, as it showed the system updating after I inserted the card as instructed.

In the book he refers to several hacks, and I am curious as to how this all works. Can you apply more than one hack at a time?

Is there a listing here of other hacks and the functionality of each as it adds to the GH2?

Finally, is there a newbie guide that discusses hacking the camera and could help a newbie like me (at this kinda thing) understand what is happening with all of the tech stuff? Maybe a thread that takes you step by step through what hacking is actually doing to the camera (I know it is basically a revised operating system of sorts allowing the hardware to do more , etc,,, ) But it appears most of the folks here already understands the basics, and I am trying to get a handle on the whole thing with no local folks I know to find out more :o)

Mark

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • There is a topic already posted that will answer all of your questions, if not post it there.

Here is the link bud.

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/443/basic-and-beginner-questions

also, you will find the V1.11 firmware here

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/dl/gf2.html

• http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2364/driftwood-quantum-x-series-settings-v3b-rocket-v4b-orion-v5-%CE%B2-pictoris-series-1/p1

I would start here. It all looks incredibly complicated but scroll down to some red text and then read on from there. This gives you a very clear description of how to hack the GH2. Under that are a load of files to download which have settings that when placed in the same folder as Ptool will populate it's settings with preconfigured hacks. It really is simply a matter of choosing which one you'd like to try and then pressing the corresponding letter at the bottom of the ptool window. Then save your firmware to a card that is pre formatted for GH2, and run the update.

Different hacks don't run at the same time, but you could say have a number of cards that you use specifically for hacks, not recording on. One might have a very hi bandwidth hack for very detailed short shots. Or another might have an improved long GOP hack that would give you much longer takes. Depending on what you were filming you would, with a fresh battery, apply the appropriate hack for the job you were involved in. People involved in the making of the hack recipes like Driftwood, and LPowell have very detailed descriptions of what exactly are the parameters in each flavour of hack so you can get an idea before diving in. However it is best to simply apply the hack, go out shoot some test stuff and see if it suits your purposes.

In terms of the tech, I leave it to the experts. There are plenty of people here who know much more than I do, so I really look to them to explain and comment on each of the hacks, so I can make a more informed decision on which I should try. Then it really is a case of trial and error to see how each one performs.

The exciting part is seeing how great this camera can be. It's not an Alexa or a Red but it absolutely can go head on with the 5DMII. In terms of res it is far better, infact 5D is upressed 720p not tru 1080. But don't take my word for it. Apply one of the Driftwood hacks like Orion, take a 5D and GH2 out and shoot the same scene. You will be pretty amazed at the quality difference in terms of detail.

all the best

rich

• Many thanks! You both have really helped me!

I bought the EOSHD.com site's book on the GH2 last night and it helped shed light on the basics, and I did apply a hack to the camera last night before a shoot, but I don't think I did the settings correctly. Still got video, and all worked, but I think I missed the fact I could set up settings in the hack before uploading. So... Loads of fun still awaits.

Again, many thanks for not blowing off my newbie question, as I do see a beginner's link here, but not having a perspective of the whole hacking thing, I was lost. After the chapter on hacking in Andrew's book, I now have a basic understanding, and with your help today, some perspective.

Best!

Mark

• @MarkEMark One rule: Just get stuck in and learn by your own mistakes (gives best understanding). One tip: Try one setting at a time only and record all results on a spreadsheet. The permutations are endless...

Finally, ask questions when youre not sure about treading in the dark.

• Hi Guys:

I just wanted to post a follow up. I have got the hang of the hacking thing now thanks to your direction. I have successfully hacked it, and am enjoying the added benefits (Do I really need that 12800 ISO???? You Betcha! :o)

Loving it. Again, thanks for the help!

Mark

• Good stuff sometimes it's best to just dive in.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions