Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Apple iPad 3
  • 23 Replies sorted by
  • All as expected.

Double the resolution in each dimention ( to make it easy for software porting).
    4F LTE option.
    Samsung made and produced A5X chip (as usual).
    And various small software things.

• I've long wondered exactly what is the native video frame size of the iPad. My hunch is that it's 960x720, which would fit comfortably within a window on the iPad2's 1024x768 screen. With the doubled resolution of the iPad3, it'd be a huge leap forward if it accepted native 1920x1080 video formats.

• @LPowell

It still has no SD slot :-)
    And it's hardware decoder can be also limited.
    But must support 1080p.

• Samsung rumored to be coming up with a device running their new Cortex-A15 CPU core and Mali-T604 GPU for a 2560 × 1600 resolution, wonder how that will look.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev - Right, I don't expect the iPad or its competitors will ever provide an SD card slot or native support for AVCHD decoding. (Since Google refuses to license H.264, Android tablets can't decode MTS files... bah, humbug!) Apple has been annoyingly reluctant to document the native video formats of iPhones and iPads and talks vaguely about supporting 720p video import. Not all H.264 720p videos are compatible, however, and you can't simply copy the file to the damn thing's hard disk...

• @LPowell

Google TV's decode MTS files. My client monitor is a 24 inch Google TV and if the clients ever want to see clips on an already off loaded and deleted card I have my DIT load up my AF100 clips on a thumb drive and plug it into the TV. Works great.

• @LPowell

This is why Kindle Fire is good for reading and fast browsing. Otherwise I use Windows 7 tablet, it plays any 1080p video, and do it directly from home Windows network.

• @Brian202020

Most good modern TV's play MKV and/or MTS files. Including 1080p. Either via USB, some even via network.

• I was just pointing out that it is Google and an Android device.

• @Brian202020 - Thanks for the info, maybe there's hope for Android tablets after all!

• @LPowell

Apple has been annoyingly reluctant to document the native video formats of iPhones and iPads

Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

I don't expect the iPad . . . will ever provide an SD card slot

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A

(Wait for it to ebb away.)

• @Mr_Moore - That's exactly what I mean - none of those allegedly compatible formats are actually the native video format of the iPhone or iPad. They are what iTunes will accept for upload and conversion. Note that maximum bitrate for H.264 1080p videos is undocumented. In practice, I suspect it's something under 5Mbps. And what about MOV and other Quicktime-supported formats? Finally, LOL @ MJPEG in AVI format only!

Thanks for the iPad Connection Kit link, too bad it's a dongle rather than a slot :(

• @LPowell Do you need this for distribution or personal purposes? The latter should be addressed by this: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/avplayerhd/id407976815?mt=8

Also, this http://www.gplexdb.com/azul.html claims to support .mts playback natively.

• Best thing I like about this $499 ipad announcement is future potential for Retina Macbook laptops and Imacs, and 4K TV/monitors.

Hopefully, similar tech will launch for PC products and then we'll finally get to 4K + res screens for content creators at reasonable prices.

Looking at the spect alone it is interesting to look how much more power hungry this thing is. Also Apple no longer focus attention on processor and RAM, due to lack of advantage here, I think.
    Quad-core graphics is real bullshit, but you need some marketing thing to compete with Terga based tablets :-)

future potential for Retina Macbook laptops and Imacs, and 4K TV/monitors.

Of course, this will happen. But not too soon. Considering economics of things is could be quite slow.

For iPad they had no choice.

apple2.png
    637 x 624 - 91K
  • @Mr_Moore Thanks for the info on Azul, very helpful!

• wish they had put an hdmi input on this one, would make for a handy monitor for some accurate focussing on such a hi res screen

• I'm interested in testing out VNC apps like Splashtop on the new iPad. If I can resolve most of the resolution from my 27" iMac on my iPad, accessing Premiere, AE, and Cinema 4D remotely from my iPad just got a hell of a lot more enticing/practical.

• http://www.ubmtechinsights.com/teardowns/new-apple-ipad-gen3-teardown-analysis/

This modified A5 processor still features two application processor cores and operates at 1 GHz, however, the architecture has been modified to include quad-core graphics. It is stated by Apple to feature the PowerVR SGX543MP4 GPU (the same graphics processor core found in the Playstation Vita). From our decap, right away, you can see that the A5X processor is larger in area than its predecessor.
    a5x_floor_plan.jpg
    560 x 548 - 197K
  • I got mine Friday. Biggest impression? Wow, what a disappointing camera compared to the iPhone 4s. I've used shots from 4s in several productions on daylight shots and no one noticed enough to comment.

I was excited to finally have a decent video editing app (Avid Studio for iPad, $5), and decent camera (free,) with a great processing and graphics, all in one device. Maybe I could even do some quick training stuff on just the new iPad without any workflow craziness? It looks like the low quality camera just blew that idea into the trash. I'm thinking I may just return this and get the $399 iPad 2 now instead and save the money.

• The camera seems about the same, in fact video looks identical. The stills look like they have way more compression and no HDR option. It is disappointing, however the camera on iPad 2 is unusable.