Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Canon Elph 300 HS hacked 140 Mbit video
  • I just thought that I would let everyone know that CHDK has an alpha version for the Canon Elph 300 HS. I tried the video and although there is still no exposure lock the video rate can go up to 95 Mbit/sec if not more.

More info here:

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6341.690

• 11 Replies sorted by
  • Elph 300 HS in EU called: IXUS 220 HS, could you post some footage or screenshot?

• Just so happens to be my other camera! The procedure doesn't seem as fool proof as ptool so I'm not sure if I'll do it.

• I hacked with CHDK my powershot 530 to make timelapses no problems at all. The instruction are a little bit confusing but all works.

• Examples available?

• I am currently travelling abroad but will post something in the next few days. The video of this cam is pretty great for such a tiny cam. The CHDK is pretty full proof. If anything goes wrong you can just pull out the battery and the camera will revert to it's original firmware. Granted it isn't as easy to use as ptools, but it is pretty impressive software imo. I'll post something in the next while...

• I was seriously looking at the Canon line until I saw they had no exposure lock on the 1080p models. The A1200 that shots 24fps at 720p locked exposure....but not the 1080p ones?

$180 for 95mb sounds nice, but if it can't lock exposure...not worth it.

• Agreed, but I am pretty sure that it is a script away from having exposure lock. I just haven't had the time to look at it yet. I have posted in the CHDK forums asking to see if it would be possible. I am sure it is...

• Ok, I just did another test and I recorded at 140 Mbit/sec. I just have a cheapo SD card with me at the moment so it stops after a couple of seconds. I am sure that a good SD card would fix the issue.

I have posted a sample of a 95 mbit/sec clip here...

• Is there AE lock or manual shutter/iris control on video with chdk yet ?

• I am not sure, I was working on getting the AE lock to work with CHDK, but I got rid of the cam shortly after. You would have to check the forums on CHDK to find out.

• Anyone tried the video bitrate settings on the Powershot S100 ? That has manual video I believe. http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Manual_Exposure_Control_for_Video_Recording