Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
CCTR lens for GH2
  • Write about your experience with this lenses? Did you try tamron lenses?

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • Do you mean CCTV? There's a ton of info out there if you search for "C-mount lens". The more popular and cheap choices right now seem to be the Fujian 35/1.7 and Wesley 24/1.4. There was a video review somewhere, where someone tested a bunch of wide and medium C-mount lenses.

The only reason I see in using a C-mount is that they are available in wide angle and fast apertures for relatively cheap. However to get real wide angle going you need to use ETC mode and that kills some IQ. Also, generally speaking, CCTV lenses aren't really that great IQ wise. They can also get quite expensive.

For longer lenses you have a huge choice in vintage film SLR glass like Pentax K and Canon FD etc. Really cheap and good quality.

• I got a neat rainbow cctv lens, its 3.5mm, so you use etc mode on it. It looks nice and its fast. I also have cosmicar and pentax zooms that are just as fast and run from about 8mm-48mm...these are fantastic lenses for the price, speed, and capability. Also there is a 6 or 6.fmm pentax. Check them all out, there are people on vimeo using them successfully, i.e. sebfarges

• actually every c-mount lens is different in vignetting or not... and if you know much about the lenses, they were originially designed for 16mm and if they are specifically 'super-16', they won't vignette on a m43's sensor -- as a m43 sensor and 35mm film cells are very similar in size.

• @re9d Forgive me if I'm wrong but I don't think S-16 is anywhere near the size of m4/3s sensors. S-16 is 12.52mm x 7.42mm where m4/3 is 17.3mm x 13.0mm. 4/3 is in reference to 4/3" so some 1" lenses will not cover, or will cover with vignetting or blurry corners. Also the GH1/2 sensors are reportedly larger than the standard m4/3s standard to provide the multi aspect ratios so the chances of a 1" C-mount lens covering is a bit smaller.

• @sumo, I can only tell you from first hand expereience with the lenses.

I do image you are right, but I also image that the rear element of the lens is larger than the minimum required size not to vignette for super-16. M43 is smaller than 35mm(cinema) frame.

Also, b4 or 2/3" lenses work if they have a 2x on them.

M42 lenses work too...

• @re9d I think it all depends on if you use wides or not. Teles will usually cover as they generally have larger image circles. I think even 2/3" lenses will cover m4/3 if they are long enough.

Wides are another story and that is why we see such a huge lack of affordable, fast and wide lenses for m4/3s.

35mm Cinema or academy size is indeed slightly larger than m4/3s but lenses aren't exactly cheap and plentiful.

M42 lenses will work of course as they are primarily designed for 35mm stills which is 2x as big as m4/3.

With all the adapters on the market the actual number of usable lenses on m4/3s is huge but we are sorely lacking in choice on the wide end unfortunately :(

• http://www.ebay.com/sch/calkovskycamerasandlensesco/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

This guy is from Petaluma California, close to my home town, I'm now in Los Angeles. He also uses a lot of Panasonic m43 cameras to test his lenses... feel free to contact him. He has amazing glass.

But if you have the money, PL glass is the way to go, but I always look at us(the royal we) rediscovering 16mm cameras and transforming them into super-16(i.e. the 80's) to save money on film stock and film developing fees.

...and they thought they killed the DSLR with large sensor video cameras, but GH2 keeps it alive(and the mk3)