Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Basic Ptool settings for end users
  • I have used PTool to “upgrade” my GH2 since the first version supporting GH2 came out. My favorite settings have been cbrandin 44 and 66, and they still works, but actually I have found that simple “patches/settings for end users” in current PTool also works very well for settings that is not as extreme as many of the “expert” tester and developers settings like @cbrandin, @driftwood, @LPowell and others.

I have found a gap between stock and extreme settings in the forums for us interested in an enhanced GH2 but still not an extreme almost RED camera. In current version of PTool 3.64 @vitaliy_kiselev in the background of the tool have built in the experience from the testing by the core team so when we end users are using “settings for end users” a lot happens in the background. I have tested a number of different settings only using “settings for end users” with bit rates spanning between 24 and 66 mbits and stock GOP’s of 12/15 as well as 6 and 3. When doing this I have adopted cbrandin’s method of using a multiple of stock bitrates.

With this Topic I encourage people like me to discuss and disclose basic settings in between stock and “extreme”. I start to include three different settings, one stock GOP, one GOP6 and one GOP3. A special thanks to @driftwood for his hint to use AQ values also found in “settings for end users” to tune the settings to get them working. This solved the problem I had in finding settings that worked without any problems.

These settings have been updated se post bellow - http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/44041#Comment_44041

Tomaso 44_35_24 GOP 12 HBR.png
    1302 x 687 - 86K
    setj.ini
    610B
    Tomaso 44_36_24_GOP6_AQ2_v1.0 HBR.png
    1303 x 688 - 99K
    seti.ini
    701B
    Tomaso 44_35_24 GOP 3 24H.png
    1302 x 687 - 85K
    seth.ini
    713B
  • 15 Replies sorted by
  • Its really nice to see new varieties of settings available for more frugal or basic requirements. Well done @Tomaso to get the ball rolling. I think a lot of GF2 users will be keen to try these out too.

• I have uppdated my settings for GOP 12 named to Nature, GOP9 named to Street. I am still working on my GOP3 named to Sports. All settins hav e framesizes larger then stock by 20 to over 200%.

Tomaso Nature_v1.1_44_GOP12_AQ4 HBR_Frames.PNG
    746 x 398 - 142K
    setj.ini
    535B
    Tomaso Street_v1.1_44_GOP9_AQ3 HBR_Frames.PNG
    746 x 398 - 146K
    seti.ini
    606B
    Tomaso Sports_v1.1_66_GOP3_AQ0_1 HBR_Frames.PNG
    746 x 398 - 51K
    seth.ini
    629B
  • I have in this post uploaded StreamParser output for Stock firmware 1.1 taken on my subject as reference when testing new settings. I am always using same subject and panning. Clip length around 12 sec. All PAL modes are included:

Stock firmware 1.1 HBR_Frames.PNG
    746 x 398 - 138K
    Stock firmware 1.1 24H_Frames.PNG
    746 x 398 - 139K
    Stock firmware 1.1 24L_Frames.PNG
    746 x 398 - 140K
    Stock firmware 1.1 FSH_Frames.PNG
    746 x 398 - 48K
    Stock firmware 1.1 FH_Frames.PNG
    746 x 398 - 136K
    Stock firmware 1.1 SH_Frames.PNG
    746 x 398 - 131K
    Stock firmware 1.1 H_Frames.PNG
    746 x 398 - 130K
  • Just wondering... is it possible for Ptool to modify any of the language strings? If so, could we not simply copy the name of the settings file into some specific help string, so we can find out which setting is currently being used?

• @ahbleza I think you should direct this kind off development requests to topics like "Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic" or "PTool v3.64d topic". As this certanly must involve @vitaliy_Kiselev work you should adress him with an @ adress.

• Settings for Nature and Street updated se above.

• I can't seem to get the patch to work on my GF2 for some reason it resorts back to v1.1... Oh well, live and learn. Great ideas from here.

• Interesting @Tomaso
    May i ask what you will get with the "Sports."
    Thats just what i am looking for, for sports i do a lot off zooming, incl tele2 mode when needed.

I do like driftwood patches a lot, there is for me just one setback.
    Because the high bitrates, noise is more visible special when zooming, and when editing (make some parts more dark, the image gets ruined.
    Sadly enough it go's for sanity 3.1 also (one off my most favorites.

thats why i was start playing with my own settings.
    I did start with the recommended settings by VK in Ptools.
    It do a real good job, i even set all the GOP to the max.
    720p50 GOP Size=48
    720p60 GOP Size=60
    1080i50 and 1080p24 GOP Size= 24
    1080i60 GOP Size=30
    Those gop size's works well, Small file sizes, and a clean image, only when there is "fast" movement, you get i slightly Less sharp image.
    See clip below. i have upped to youtube, vimeo ore exposureroom only except 720 (free account)

00001_Frames.PNG
    746 x 398 - 145K
  • Same settings except 720p60 GOP Size 60
    Its now 720p60 GOP Size=30
    I did a fast test with some slomo in twixtor.
    The gh2 was set on P mode, so i have no idea what Expusure or shutter was,
    Some times you dont have time to set the cam how you want it, because its that moment something happens, then its nice when you now that a setting is always oké..
    Thats the reason i did this shot this way...

Let me now what you guys/ladies think, what and where can it be improved..

00000_Frames.PNG
    746 x 398 - 164K
  • @mozes - As an answer to your first question about sports, I will try to set the bitrate higher and use shorter GOP and low AQ. I am not shure if I will make it with GOP 3, I will also test GOP 6. I am not shure if I will be able to continue the tests before the coming weekend.

Looking on your shots, to me the look good. The slightly Less sharp image whith "fast" movement I guess is ok. It will clearly depend on your shutter speed if you use 180 degree shutter 1/60 or 1/50 in HBR 30p or 25p. I do not know what bitrate you used in you setting for your first StreamParser upload, but the bitrate of 21M might indicate a problem if you had bitrate of 44/32/24 and shot in SH mode.

"The gh2 was set on P mode, so i have no idea what Expusure or shutter was"

I am using S or M mode to always have controle over the shutter speed. I have one setting with HBR S saved on C3 and M saved on C2. Using C3 will give me the same instant rediness as you get with P, but I have controle over shutter speed.

• I have uploaded StreamParser output for stock firmware for all PAL modes in the 4:th post of this topic to be used as reference for new settings. I am always using same subject and panning. Clip length around 12 sec.

• @cbrandin - If you look at the StreamParser outputs in 4:th post of this topic, you can see that when the path length to a file i long the file name gets covered by the tumbnail. I guess it would be a good idea to lover the tumbnail by one line if possible. I use the filenames to indicate what mode the output is.

• @Tomasso normaly i use the manual mode
    that 21mb is because the vbr setting, i have change it now to CBR. I have now a constant bitrate (changing between low and high is no more then +/- 1 mb)
    i am still playing with different gop sizes, and how shorter they get, how more noise there is (ad least hat is wat i am thinking that i see)

ExposureTime : 1/100 FNumber : 4.0 Exposure mode : A ISO : 4000

00004_Frames.PNG
    746 x 398 - 160K
  • @mozes - "i am still playing with different gop sizes, and how shorter they get, how more noise there is (ad least hat is wat i am thinking that i see)"

I think that the relative small I-frames could be one of the reasons to the above. I think that raising bitrate if possible should help. Noise might be macro blocking, but I don't know. But on the same time iso 4000 is not noise-less.

• I have uppdatet my sports settings. All my settings have framesaizes larger than stock.

Nature and Streat framsize larger than stock with abour100%

Sprots larger than stock wíth over 20% despite GOP 3.