Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 for live streaming - Blackmagic design TV studio
  • Hi guys, I am currently doing some research and testing with live switching of multiple gh2 cameras trough HDMi- I know its not perfect, but I think it serves my purpose .. I am thinking of live concerts / events covering and so far it looks promising..

here's the link to some promising posts;

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/124/876733

Any thoughts? What is the situation on clean HDMi 10 bit 422 front?

BR,

Jure

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • "What is the situation on clean...." 10 bit HDMI 4:2:2 is not going to happen... You want little bit too much, don't ya think?

• Hehe, I guess so ;)

• Interesting discussion. As someone who's done quite a bit of live m/camera streaming, there are a couple of issues which can bite you in the bum: there are often quite unpredictable sound delays (or rather, picture delays) so you have to run sound through a delay. Doing all of that and switching is really only good on a powerful machine unless you're doing fairly basic SD-type quality. In which case it's going to look...OK ish.

One thing you can do which I've also done - use live camera switching to a low res live feed, and record in camera and edit that later for archive / download.

But good fun to try. You will just need a ton of talkbacks and other bits!! If you can incorporate a chat feed back into the live event on a screen, that can be great and means the artists can react to what the audience is saying. Done that, hugely impressive!

If events, remember that most "live" TV has recorded bits in it. So you can pre record these and (if you're planning ahead) upload them and play them into the stream at the server end so you can set up for your next live segment. You then monitor what's going out and have a graphic to go to to smooth over the inevitable hiatus as you cope with the inevitable sets of delays between online / streamed / what's leaving you / what's happening in front of the cameras. As I say, good fun and a challenge, but usually the cameras are the least of your worries. Mostly it's a logistics exercise.

• Hi Mark,

yes, I guess its a real logistics frenzy.. have to practice a bit..

I've checked the delay on the BM TVS and its only about a half of frame, so its not a huge problem & I am aware of the delay issues. It can be simplified I think but definitely needs practice.

I would like to do something like this live ( this was done multicam and was online 3 days after we shoot it..

• Wow - that's amazing. Wonderful pictures! I love this - a real sense of occasion. Really wish you well with it and it's brilliant to see people promoting their music. Sounds like your system is way better than mine was - I was using vidblaster and firewire cameras but the pc (a quad core) was barely coping. It is a great way to get a lot of material though. Seriously, if you can do anything like this live, it will be amazing.

• Thank Mark, will try soon ;)

BR,

Jure