Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
MJPEG Timelapse Settings?
  • I was wondering if lowering the MJPEG frame rate on a GH13/17 would leave enough headroom to create a 1080p timelapse patch. My theory is that if the frame rate is lower (like 2fps), that leaves more bitrate for resolution, so you could increase the frame zise to 1920x1080 and use 4:2:2 subsampling to achieve a 1080p 4:2:2 timelapse patch. Would this work? I've tried increasing the frame size and decreasing the frame rate, and it works, but I don't understand the MJPEG compression tables, so I don't know how to manipulate the compression.
  • 5 Replies sorted by
  • Just do jpeg pics. Takes less space and less battery and better quality. I haven't done though. I'm looking for a "cheap" timelapse device that works on GH1 and GH2.
  • Yeah I've been trying to find one, too.
  • I suggest setting the MJPEG tables to 4, and the quality somewhere between 160 and 400 - depending on how long you want your maximum recording time to be. I'm thinking about switching back to 720p as MJPEG 1080p appears to be upsampled anyway.

I record at 4:2:0 but use frame blending in GH13 Timelapser - frame blending outputs at 4:2:2 - i think this additional headroom is utilised with 4:2:0 source footage as each pixel is averaged across multiple frames.

More info: http://timelapser.net

raw/jpeg shooting is obviously much sharper but mjpeg it's a handy option to have.
  • stonebat ,

Many times it would be nice to have a time lapse where IQ is not the most important thing.
    Using a video solution limits shudder wear for extensive time lapses. In some situations you don't want the sound of a shutter clicking hundreds of time.

• time lapse is... time lapse :)
    I tried both 2Xfps MJPEG and a timelapse trigger. I like'em both.