Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2s Part of Nat Geo Show
  • A good friend of mine, Robert Baldwin, has a piece airing on the NatGeo Channel that includes a LOT of hacked GH2 footage. It's the Bacardi Factory episode of Ultimate Factories (S5E7) - which aired this weekend and will air again next week. Robert's going to drop in here and give us the blow-by-blow of using the GH2 on a production with EX3s and NanoFlashes (with a production spec of 100 Mbps minimum).

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • sounds great- thanks!

• Thanks for info, David. We'll be waiting.

• Hi All... My good friend David asked me to give a little run down on the National Geographic project and how the GH2's were used. I should begin by saying (thanks to David) I have become a GH2 fanatic. I travel quite a bit, and I find it amazing to be able to carry along a studio (three or four bodies and a full compliment of lenses) in my backpack. My humble thanks to the amazing work the GH2 community has pulled off.

This particular project was a one hour Nat Geo piece for a series called "Ultimate Factories" on the making of Bacardi Rum. Nat Geo's specs require a minimum of 100 Mbps and as Geo had never heard of GH2's and would not approve their use... I filmed much of the early shoots with a Sony EX3 with a nano flash. A Sony 900 was the other principle camera used.

I brought a few of my Gh2's along and started clandestinely grabbing shots with them whenever possible. Often, I would mount them here and there to capture various strange angles. I'd trigger them remotely with wireless intervalometers. I also used the GH2's for all of the time lapse shots.

On one trip to Puerto Rico we rented a crane. It was a very sizable theatrical rig capable of slinging a huge camera rig. As it turned out, the operator had forgotten to bring along the cables we needed for the "big camera's", so I mounted two Gh2's (one with a 7-14 and the other with a 14-140 lens) on this huge crane with wireless remotes. It was a very funny looking contraption to be sure. Kind of reminded me of Beatle Juice... but it did the job quite remarkably.

Another funny story around the Gh2's happened on one of the shoots to Bacardi's huge bottling plant. Geo sent another DP down from Washington along with a Producer to shoot interviews while I concentrated on B-roll and all the speciality shots we needed. By that point in the travels, I had already junked the big camera's and was only traveling with GH2'a having demonstrated to the powers that be... the amazing quality out of the little Pany's.

The first morning when we were unpacking our gear in the equipment room the other DP was breaking out the Sony 900 and the truck load of gear that goes along with it. He kept glancing my way wondering what the heck I was doing with the little camera's he assumed I was playing with, and wondering where the hell my real gear was. As we walked out the door... he with 60 pounds on his shoulder and I with... well you get the picture... he finally had to ask just what I was up to, and had I forgotten to pack my brains or what. I just smiled.

We went off on our separate ways for the day and came together later to view our respective rushes. Without any question, the GH2 footage was far superior to that of the 900... a Sony pro flagship camera. To make a long story short... it didn't take long before he was speed dialing B&H, and yet another shooter fell to the power of the little engines that could.

If you happen to catch the show, I think you will be able to tell the GH footage from everything else. Of the total shoot, I would guess that 30% of the footage is from the Pany's. There would have been more, but it took awhile for Geo to give in to their use.

To my eye, what comes out of those little jewels is nothing short of amazing.

My sincerest thanks to everyone who has made it possible... genius in high service from my perspective. Who would have ever imagined. No more Pelican cases... just a little ole backpack. :)

RBB

• Robert that was a great story. Ha ha..."did you forget to pack your brains"....that was funny. Isn't it amazing how technology progressed in a few short years? The F900 is a camera that was used in some of my favorite movies...and yet here we are with a cheap throwaway camera (relatively speaking) that can pull off a lot of what that cam can do. Thanks to Vitaliy and all the testers in this community I think we can expect more pressure being out on the "big guns" to offer us better quality cameras at an affordable price. I'm looking forward to watching your episode on NatGeo.

• Thanks for sharing, awesome. So, which hack?

• @LightFlight I still use the carry on pelican... +1 for 4 GH2's!

• @LightFlight thanks very much for the detailed review. We're using 2 gh2s as our A cams now on a nature / environment series that will be a public broadcasting acquisition, although we also have a lot of f800 footage which is what we started with. I'm not sure if you've noticed it by I find the m43rds sensor helps with cutting with 2/3" cameras, probably in good part unless you really go crazy on the ND's, you don't get jarringly shallow DOF like a 5d so it just cuts better.

Not sure if you have time but I'd love to compare notes (my process in brackets -- curious about yours): - Monitoring / Exposure (Fine working without it, usually end up underexposing a stop of "white" on the histogram) - WB (Generally manual to a Gray Card (for still / nature) or Warm Card (for interview) -- I found the K manual WB never matched up with manual on F800/900 (too much sony blue). - ISO (Stick to 160 and 640 generally but I'm hearing so much contradictory information about this these days...)

Were you a canon guy before picking up the gh2s or were they your first foray into dslr world? How do cannon guys react? I feel like a lot of them are crossing their fingers for the 5dmkIII but more and more I've spoken too either acknowledge the supremacy of the gh2 or are just moving on to the c300.

• @LightFlight What frame rate and resolution where you shooting with the GH2?

• fantastic review. and today they asked me to bring in some footage from "this other camera" to compare it with 7d. lets see.

• That's a great story. I recently shot some stuff with the driftwood hack and it really is astounding the quality and detail you can get. Only thing that gives it away is latitude.

• That's SO fab to see the GH2 producing stuff like this. Inspiring. As an aside, I love those big machines. As a sound effects recordist I went to get some newspaper printing presses, and some of those machines are massive - huge rolls of paper winding around big rollers at incredible speed, and the whole room shaking as it gets up to speed. Reminded me of it when the man in the video talked about what happens when it goes wrong - and while I was doing my recordings my printing press tore through a roll of paper and it's amazing to see something that huge have to do an emergency stop with paper flying everywhere. I can see why they hide the dangerous bits of the bottling plant behind a screen. Brilliant to see the GH2 out there capturing stuff like this - gives a real flavour of an amazing factory. And that sort of stuff is great fun to shoot.

• Cool stuff. I clicked "Like" button :)

• @rsquires - Try 5dtoRGB for latitude