Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
PhotoPlus Expo 2019

sa10507.jpg
    775 x 301 - 45K
  • 14 Replies sorted by
  • Rumors are that Sony is not attending this year PhotoPlus and will hold event among their close friends, ambassadors and directly paid bloggers. As they want to ensure fully controlled reactions and reviews.

• You're Invited -- Sony Creative Space, During Photo Plus Expo

Sony's hands-on experiential event combines models, sets, gear and inspiration for the ultimate creative event.

The Sony Creative Space NYC is a three-day-long celebration of still and moving imagery and creativity that is free and open to the public. Sony Creative Space NYC offers attendees a wide range of shooting opportunities (including multiple sets and models), workshops, photo walks, and more. Attendees can also borrow cameras and lenses from the Alpha camera lineup, so they can spend time shooting with the latest Sony camera gear, get answers to technical questions from Sony Pro Support and get tips and tricks for the setup and use of Sony cameras. Creative Space NYC is held to coincide with the Photo Plus Expo in New York City. Sony Creative Space is based at the SIR Stage 37 studio, located just a few blocks from the Javitz Convention Center, at 508 W 37th Street in New York. Creative Space NYC will also host numerous special events, including the Abel Cine Film Night on the 23rd, Art of Visuals Day and B&H Night on the 24th, and Alpha Female Day and BeAlpha Night on the 25th. Sony Creative Space NYC and the special events are free to attend. Registration is required for general admission to the Sony Creative Space, and separately for the evening events.

Information And Registration

A fulll list of daily sessions, plus registration for general admission and the daily events can be found on the here on the Alpha Universe website.\ A full list of the evening special events, plus registration for these events can be found here on the Alpha Universe website.

Sony Creative Space Schedule

General Admission/Daytime Events

Thursday through Saturday

Register Here For General Admission/Daily Events\ General Event Admission -- Doors Open 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Thursday

10:00 AM -- Photowalk with Chris Ngu
    11:00 AM -- Photowalk with Mike Myers
    12:00 PM -- The Art of Aerial Photography with Chris Burkard
    1:00 PM -- How To Build A Strong Personal Brand, Art of Visuals & Imaging Collective
    2:00 PM -- Photowalk with Erick Urgiles
    3:30 PM -- Raffle and What's New From Sony, Art of Visuals & Sony Team

Thursday is also Art of Visuals Day, an experience curated by none other than the powerfully creative team behind Art of Visuals. AOV is curating a new type of networking / community event featuring photowalks, presentations, digital gallery takeovers and open Q+A with several incredibly talented artists, a variety of interactive shooting sets and much more.

See below for the Thursday Night B&H Night registration.

Friday

10:00 AM -- Bodies in Motion Photoshoot with Dana Scruggs
    10:00 AM -- Photowalk: Reflections In The City with Paola Franqui
    11:00 AM -- Sports Action Photoshoot with Jean Fruth
    11:00 AM -- Photowalk: Architecture In The City with Chris Beth Cooper
    12:00 PM Photowalk: Moody In The City with Shauna Wade
    1:00 PM -- Editing Creative Run & Gun Video with Amber & Garrette Baird
    2:00 PM -- The Intervened Portrait Photoshoot with Katrin Eismann
    3:00 PM -- Fine Art Photoshoot with Brooke Shaden
    4:00 PM -- Photowalk: Love In The City with Amber Baird
    4:00 PM -- Photowalk: Humans In The City with Katrin Eismann
    4:00 PM -- Photowalk: Mobile In The City with Marvi Lacar

Friday is also Alpha Female day, featuring presentations from an esteemed group of creators including Brooke Shaden, Dana Scruggs, Amber Baird, Jean Fruth, and Katrin Eismann. You'll have an opportunity to get your portrait taken by one of Sony's Artisans of Imagery, take a photo walk with members of the Alpha Imaging Collective, complete your portfolio with new creative photos taken at one of our shooting stages, mingle with great personalities from the photography and film worlds, and network with other creators.

See Special Evening Events, below, for the Friday Night Alpha Female event registration, and the #BeAlpha evening event registration.

Saturday

9:30 AM -- Shooting Sports With the a9 II with Patrick Murphy-Racey
    10:15 AM -- Photowalk with Jose Silva
    10:30 AM -- Creatinv A Dark Fairytale with Brook Shaden
    11:30 AM -- Portraiture Photoshoot with Miguel Quiles
    11:30 AM -- Photowalk with Jessica Foley
    1:00 PM -- Staying Creative with Ben Lowy & Marvi Lacar
    2:00 PM -- Story Telling Through Human Connections with Ben Moon
    3:15 PM -- Wildlife Photography with Colby Brown

Saturday will be another celebration of talent and imagination at their best. In addition to shooting stages, models, and presentations from top Sony creators, Sony and Street Dreams Magazine will be partnering on a variety of photowalks led by local street photographers. Your free three-day Creative Space NYC pass will provide you access to this amazing experience, so if you haven't already, sign up HERE.

• Kodak PIXPRO WPZ2

sa10622.jpg
    800 x 660 - 75K
    sa10623.jpg
    800 x 573 - 67K
  • "As they want to ensure fully controlled reactions and reviews."

Your assumption is perfectly valid. I would like to share a few thoughts on this topic.

The specific measure of control that Sony gains by hosting their own event space is that they know exactly who is attending, thanks to the standalone registration process, which is separate from PhotoPlus Expo. Had they exhibited on the trade show floor, they would not necessarily have known who everybody was that passed through their booth -- they would only know the names of those people who volunteered to have their show badge scanned when they visited, or those who specifically signed up for email contact through the PhotoPlus marketing channels, and that number of people does not equal the total number visiting a booth. So, by hosting their own event, they know exactly who attends because they control their own registration process, separately from the trade show.

But I believe there is more to it. With their own event space, they were not restricted in the size of their exhibit, nor were they restricted by the standard PhotoPlus show hours. The Sony booth has always been among the three largest exhibits at PhotoPlus, but this year they had many times that amount of square footage to utilize in their rented warehouse. And, their programs went on well into the evenings long after PhotoPlus closed its doors at 5pm every day. When I walked past the Sony location (at 11th Ave. & 37th St.), there were long lines of people waiting in the morning to get into the daytime events, and long lines of people waiting in the evening to get into the nighttime events. So I think their decision also had something to do with creating a much larger presence than they could achieve on the show floor, for a longer period of time than the standard show hours.

I did not attend the Sony event so I cannot speak about the experience, but I can say that from within the PhotoPlus trade show itself, Sony's absence from the show floor was alarmingly obvious, to the point where it seemed to me that perhaps they were "sending a message" that they simply do not need to exhibit inside this show... instead, they can exhibit outside of it, with longer hours and a larger space. They were right across the street, easy to find with plenty of signage.

I talked to a few attendees who were not aware of the move and showed them where to go. What I'm wondering about now is the cost. It is generally very expensive to exhibit at a trade show, especially in New York, but how much more (or less) expensive is it to rent an adjacent warehouse (in New York!), hire all the required services, and staff it on an order of magnitude several times greater than their previously huge floor space at the trade show?

I'm thinking that perhaps Sony's marketing department had more money to throw at this roll-out than PhotoPlus could handle... but then again, I am a conspiracy theorist and I don't really know anything.

• @Chris_Hurd

It is not much specific to Sony.

As Apple and many other big corporations make same tricks.

With time monopolies want to set themselves apart from competition, both symbolically and literally.

Sad thing is that most video and photo guys lack understanding that all this ambassadors and individual youtubers/infuencers became tools of corporations. And frequently forced to play on the other side, as otherwise all information and review gear access will be cut short.

During years I had many private talks with some people related to marketing in large companies, many of them retired already. And many of them had been very glad that people underestimate power of being large group, do not understand importance of large communities. For companies it is much harder to deal with such compared to fully powerless individual "influencers".