Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Why subscription software is still legal or why Andrew Raid must read
  • We'll try to get some meaning out of the mess he wrote.

Creative Cloud is anti-competitive, locking users into a perpetual payment plan with no guarantee of future costs. What started at Adobe has spread like a cancer in the software and creative app industry with subscriber-only plans rather than a one off purchase price. Our subscriptions as businesses, enthusiasts and consumers are stacking up and becoming a real monthly headache, and it is time governments looked into regulating the subscription software industry – starting with the king bastard of them all, Adobe.

First, subscription approach did not start from Adobe. Big guys like Autodesk and such started to use it long time ago, and overall in corporate segment such practice had been used since 90s for some products.

Second, such "anti-competitive" practice is possible because Adobe is actual monopoly. Some people do not get it properly, but you can't look on complex software product as you look on pencil. Lot of people invest many years to become accustomed with complex software and get proper skills, hence declaring anything about "alternatives" makes no sense for them.

Third, being capitalists, Adobe owners and top management are part of ruling class, class that set the laws and tell government that to do. Hence "it is time governments looked into regulating the subscription software industry" is quite stupid proposal. Of course government can even publically talk about it, but never will do anything real.

Cinema5D’s thinly disguised advert (they claimed it was a ‘documentary‘) purported to take a deep inside look at the inner-workings of Adobe’s scumbag inner sanctum. The main take away I got from this bottom scrounging act of desperation, was that it appeared Adobe had a small cupboard with a technician in it, and an absolute vast and incredibly expensive marketing floor. The Premiere Pro product manager appeared to be some kind of jaded ex-human, morphed into a lizard, commanding a cupboard of coders but a gargantuan open plan office for the others.

Well, it had been small documentary that had been made with only one purpose. To let Adobe management show you publically on how they spend your money. I mean here how they waste your money. :-)

In the capitalism it is unacceptable behavior to show hard work of engineers and coders and such. As it is working for one thing only - making coders more expensive for company. Showing marketing luxury instead play the opposite way.

Adobe have been doing a disservice to photographers and filmmakers for years and we just keep getting led around like poodles. The competition to Adobe just hasn’t materialised. They are a digital monopoly like eBay, like PayPal and all the other complacent marketing lead anti-innovation blood-suckers of our digital age.

Adobe is just normal big company, monopoly as I said before. And their only goal is to maximize profits, both for investors and in more short time way - for top management via bonuses and various nice expenses. Any coding and such are just very unfortunate and small part of such goals and they try to minimize number of real features and bug fixes as much as possible.

As far as anything else, I’m at a loss to think what positive new feature I’ve used regularly, but I’m still paying for it. In fact, over 7 years, $50 per month adds up to a hideous $4200 for virtually no benefit,

Stop doing this, start to use torrents :-) This is the only language Adobe will understand.

We are paying to make Premiere less reliable. We are paying to be beta testers of new releases and paying to be bug fixers, feedback givers and also paying to have our businesses and productivity fucked up the ass by endless reliability issues

I can't say that it is becoming less reliable, for me it stays more or less the same. But minimizing expenses and maximizing profits (just read their record reports each quarter) have consequences, and yes - you will be even alpha tester soon.

As recent price hikes have confirmed, it now appears that $10 per month for the rest of your life isn’t enough for a single Adobe app, Photoshop. If Adobe want double, they will take it.

Recent price hike did not go as planned, but they will return to this later this year, as well as add more price hikes along the line. Lot of actual people inside, who are tech stuff, are angry at all this and leak information from management meetings. Now it is up to 40% of all meetings time are about maximizing profits any means necessary, including subscription hikes or firing expensive coders.

Do what you want Adobe, charge us double, charge us triple, deprive us of our basic tools if you have to. Most of us will keep on yapping and coming back for more, but believe me – the moment our owner has his back turned the knife is going in so far it won’t ever come out again.

Being sheep always have consequences. You will be treated like one.

Adobe is setting itself up for a migration of users, the size the software world has never seen before.

Lot of "smart' people told this the moment they added subscription - but failed with predictions. Huge profits in capitalism allow Adobe to put more and more money in online ads, promotions, sponsorships and such. And hence - to catch many new users.

I also think that paying once to OWN software should be practically a human right. It’s my operating system, my computer, and I don’t see why I should be renting part of it from some greedy little fuckwits.

Andrew, it is time to read EULA for all your software. And you will suddenly realize that you do not own anything of this and never had been. You just have limited right to install and use software fully owned by company according to specific terms on specific number of computers for specific time, and so on and so on. No way company is responsible if they software protection will stop working and you won't be able to install it. It is also in EULA. So, stop dreaming.

And idea of "human right" is extremely shitty idea made up by same kind of people who own Adobe. As they actually did not care about your rights, they cared about your dreams about your "rights". People need to realize that all this "efficient owners" are mostly making expensive buggy software and spending big share of your money on expensive cars, jets and hotels. This guys are your real enemies.

And, yes, as soon as Black Magic will be bigger and their software will be more widespread they will be.. second Adobe. With exactly same issues. This is because capitalism works such way.