Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Iron Sky it is finaly ready
  • This film will kick some Hollywood but. Made only with 7 million budget.

• 26 Replies sorted by
  • Awesome. If you haven't got a massive budget and you want to do sci-fi, make it funny, and don't take yourself too seriously. I'm looking forward to that.

• Oh Yeah. C'mon Nah!

• The funniest part is that the effects don't look any worse than "Battleship"...

• @bwhitz

That is just my point.

• Only few key people. All was invited to movie making, so they get lot of tallented people with no or nearly no earlyer experience of movimaking with werry low cost. They use self made renderframe. 50 cheap computer with just powerful processor and enough ram. And lot of this kind of things. Like if this community join forces behind one thing how much tallent there would be.

• @otcx yea, exactly. I think it's awesome. Super excited for this movie.

I think the whole landscape of the film industry is about to change. And it won't be gradual... it'll be overnight. Everyone working in hollywood is so obsessed with "how it's done" and the status quo (because that just the "social acceptable" thing to do out here) that they're just not being quick enough with new innovations and methods of production. There's a good chance they'll get left behind in the future...

• @bwhitz

I am totally not agree.
    Nothing will change much. As you still need to tell the story and this is the main part.
    All this idea of "now we can do it in raw and using ISO 560000 and this will change the world" is utter bullshit.
    Any tech just can help you to tell the story.

• Besides all this, let's focus on the most important part of all this . . . its Sarah Palin battling space Nazis from the dark side of the moon. How could this not be entertaining?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Well, of course you still need to tell the story. That's just a given. But I think more and more up and coming writers/directors are going to start realizing they don't need to work within the system anymore to make legitimately perceived projects. Do you know how many scripts and story ideas get bought up every year and thrown away just to protect other movies and other IP? Allot. It's only a matter of time before "the new guys" just get sick of it and look for other options. Who's going to want to keep working under the ego-maniac's that run hollywood if they don't have to?

It's not about the tech... the tech is just the catalyst for the change.

Robert Rodriguez gives a good lecture about this in "Film is dead", of course he was just talking about the death of film. But the point was not "that film is dead so anyone can make a movie". It was just that the digital technology was allowing people to approach the process differently... taking multiple jobs, experiment more, question current methods, different ways of working with actors, ect. Hollywood had unions to protect "the system" and keep this from happening, but soon I think everything will be subsidized so far, that it just won't matter. The last piece of the puzzle that needs to get worked out is stable, next-gen, distribution methods, like using Netflix, Hulu, Epix... ect.

Take SOPA for example, it wasn't just about piracy, it was about trying to take control of online entertainment in general. The "big guys" calling the shots right now want you to go to theaters, pay $15 for whatever movies they want to show you, and have no other options. They like calling the shots. Owning an industry is much easier than competing in one you don't have control over. I mean, if people like the current hollywood movies, and don't care about other options, then I guess it doesn't matter. I was just under the impression that people are sick of the same thing over-and-over every year and want something new.

This is just how I see it though, everyone has their own ideas I'm sure...

• Of course, every film is a story, but some of the stories need of a credible environment around them . For example in some sci-fi stories have been impossible to tell without a believable effects. These effects have so far been far too expensive. But new low-end entry effects allows for more and more of the filmmakers to tell their stories.

• "The Daaaark Siiide of the Moooooon"

• Is this good for Sarah Palin, or bad? hahaha this looks awesome.

• Yay! Best chance to root for the Nazis since Hogan's Heroes!

• Saw it tonight in Tampere. I loved it.

It could've been better, of course (maybe additional 90mil. budget would've helped). But it wasn't bad either, not bad at all!

The effects were amazing, given that they had basically 5 guys working on some twenty computers instead of some Industrial light&magic and huge render farms. Of course you notice some quick'n dirty smoke effects here and there or a few shimmering greenscreen shadow edges, but stuff like that can be spotted from high-end hollywood films as well.

If you're a sci-fi geek who already loves the idea of moon-nazis, then you're gonna like this. It's an A-class B-movie (read a-Guys-flick).

If however you like more ForrestGump kind of stuff (read a-chick-flick) or Jim Carrey humor, you might not like this movie.

• Oh man! First four minutes looks awesome! I really hope this is the beginning of the decade of A-class B-movies!

• I won a double pass to premiere here in Perth .. I loved it .. not as slap stick as I thought it would be. It had some social comment .. black .. ironic .. satire.

7/10 go see it

• I watched this a few weeks back. It is awesome and totally worth a watch. Very tongue in cheek, subtle and hilarious in places, not so subtle but still funny in others.

It wasn't perfect by a long shot, but if more movies were a little more considered like this, I think the shape of the industry would be a little more even.

• I really like the style they used.
    Sadly, most online and offline big media critics turned against the film.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev It's no wonder. This film exposes the hypocrisy of today's ruling elite. The film I liked, but it disturbed me the inconsistency of a formula. The filmmakers could not decide whether it be comedy, burlesque or serious SF film with a message. It seems to me that in this matter is little they did not succeed. But I loved that this movie does not stink American pathetic shit.

• You know, we did a survey and there actually people in the real world who do believe there are Nazis on the dark side of the Moon. Oh, and the genre of this movie is Diesel-punk

• AUDIO PODCAST

Indies Blow Up Filmmaking with CGI

Timo Vuorensola, Iron Sky’s director, hails the democratization of CGI. “High-quality special effects are not just the reach of Hollywood anymore,” he says. “It is possible for independent filmmakers in Finland, or wherever the hell people make films.”

http://www.studio360.org/2012/jun/22/indie-film-cgi/

• The 25th Reich... starring one of the actors from Iron Sky.

Acting is kind of bad, but it looks good visually.

Australia's cinematic obsession with Nazi sci-fi genre fusion

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/movies/australias-cinematic-obsession-with-nazi-scifi-genre-fusion-20120220-1tjko.html

• I think this kind of filmmaking is terribly exciting. Plus i will probably never get enough of Nazi villains in movies.