Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Best system for hard CPU renderers

Note that cost of system sometime sis for used CPUs, especially old Xeons.

For video you must not look at this so direct, as GPU play very significant role, as well as parallelization.

Adobe products are especially known for very bad usage of both, especially bad are high core count CPUs. It becoming better, but very slow.

sa8759.jpg
    800 x 352 - 57K
  • 5 Replies sorted by
  • I've been using Edius for the last ten years and it's probably the only NLE which uses ONLY cpu. On Edius there's a huge performance difference between i9700 and i9900 cpu. In my system, GPU is used only for third party plugin.

• @LongJohnSilver

What version do you use?

I think latest versions use GPU.

At least for encoding it uses QuickSync and such for long.

• I'm using Edius 8 Workgroup. It' sonly CPU based. From what I read on GV forum its' the same for Edius 9. Timeline is heavily CPU dependent. Of course if you apply some GPU based effects on timeline things changes. yes, it uses QS (despite of various bugs) for rendering so a 9900K makes a huge difference.

• @LongJohnSilver

For now FCP X is only one NLE written with understanding of proper GPU/decoder usage and designed with NVMe SSDs in mind. But it needs much more attention from Apple.

Resolve also has lot of modern parts, but overall it is monster consisting of 80% of very old code made for 1-2 core CPUs and by people long time missing.

Adobe Premiere is similar to Resolve, but with significant issues in management and extremely expensive developers (one Adobe developer cost around 3x of average BM one).

Edius now focused only on broadcast and big guys, small people are mostly abandoned.

Vegas barely lives, has horrible top management, despite all hype related to some stunt with Hitfilm collaboration.

• I admit I'm a victim of lock-in because a NLE is an highly personal choice. Learning a new product could a steep process but I'm very satisfied of Edius. As you noted now It's focused mainly on broadcast customer. You find little or no resources on the net. On other hand Grass Valley forums are a trove of info and assets with nearly zero noise (there's a strong moderation). A lot of professionals ready to help on every aspect. The product in itself simply works. it's fast and very thrifty. I can work on simple 4K projects on laptops where other NLEs wouldn't even start. You can work on a project on a desktop and laptop with few clicks. for these ability it used to be the default NLE for news teams of Italian Broadcast TV. A weak point is compatibility with external plugins but now things are changed with a better OFX bridge.

It's a shame that Grass Valley deliberately killed its mainstream audience. They chose to implement a strong license manager so it's nearly impossible to find stable cracked versions. other NLEs chose to have weak or no protection as way to become a standard de facto (fill the dots . . . . . ) ;-)