Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Dedicated servers or VPS
  • Anyone have expirience with various providers?

Most probably we'll be going to dedicated server in upcoming months.
    So, it'll be interesting to know options.

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • I myself have a VPS where we host some websites and a lot of backend scripts for apps. For a site like this, i don't really thing you need anything more, would even run on shared hosting without a problem now.

Nice thing about a VPS/Dedi is that you have all control and a lot of stability though. Site can't go down because some idiot user on the same server ran stupid scripts.

Can't help you with providers, unfortunately, have always been on dutch hosts.
  • >For a site like this, i don't really thing you need anything more, would even run on shared hosting without a problem now.

And it is run on shared hosting now :-) Less problems.
    During hot hours we have some slowdown already.
    But after new hack releases and few other implemented things we could have quite large spikes.

>Can't help you with providers, unfortunately, have always been on dutch hosts.

I planned to use german providers known for cheap dedicated costs.
  • i have 1und1-virtualServer XL, cost: 19,99 Euro p.m., first 3 month 9,99; 40 GB disk in raid5, 4 GB Mem
    linux-root-server with plesk parallel 10 unlimited, traffic unlimited 100Mbit without forcing reduction, mobile server monitor app (ios,android,symbian), 2 doms free -1000 subdomains, other linux-apps no problem (teamspeak-server e.g.), automatic backup dayly, you can restore whole server content, even have os mismatch.
    but i think dedicated server for your site is more robust because of heavy traffic, but starts with 50,- Euro p.M.
    look at: www.1und1.de, then "Hochleistungsserver", also available dynamic cloud server with variable needs
  • @daidalos
    Thanks.
    But it looks like they have no english support.

• or just registrar.1und1.de