Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
17-70mm F2.8-4.5 SIGMA DC Macro topic

Available at:

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-884306-17-70-2-8-4-Macro/dp/B00AXZZ034/

Anyone using GH1/2 with SIGMA 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro? Any impressions about this lens? What I mean generally is if there are any issues like vignettes, tilts, blurs, unable to infinity focus, etc. when used on GH1. I watched very nice results with this lens on t2i, so is it needless on GH1 even manually controlled?

oil4.jpg
    482 x 525 - 40K
  • 9 Replies sorted by
  • Fine on APS-C / 7D, etc. But 17mm isn't very wide angle on the GH2. 70mm isn't very long.

The Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 has a contestant aperture and is full frame compatible if you change cameras in the future. A much better deal!

• Thanks! I really have idea to use some of these lens on GH1 (manually, of couse, with adapter), what do you think? Which of the lenses below have both smooth manual focus and manual aperture controls?

Sigma EX AF 17-35mm f2.8-4 HSM Sigma 24-135 f2.8-4.5 Sigma DC 18-50mm f2.8 ex macro HSM Tamron SP A16 17-50 mm f2.8

Any suggestions and recommendations are welcome!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev, Thx for the review. It seems like a nice little lens with a very usable range. I wouldn't worry about the fact that 17mm isn't the widest. For most uses it should serve well. You can always add a 14mm Pancake to the set and run with that in your pocket :)

• The Sigma 17-70mm "C" is surprisingly sharp, especially when compared to its predecessor. The "C" version of this lens uses a different optical formula - 16 elements in 14 groups, including FLD, SLD, and 3 aspherical elements - which no doubt accounts for this improvement.

The Sigma 17-70mm ƒ/2.8-4 OS uses a new material for its construction, ''TSC" (Thermally Stable Composite), making it slightly lighter than its predecessor (470 grams, instead of 535 grams).

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1560/cat/31

• In practice, the 17-70mm turns out to be an excellent choice if you've grown out of a kit zoom and want something a bit better. It offers generally better optics, a broader zoom range, and of course that faster aperture. But this all comes in a package that's surprisingly compact, and doesn't take up too much extra space in your camera bag. It's not as light as a kit zoom, but not excessively heavy either.

The lens's focusing and image stabilisation systems work well too. Autofocus is pretty fast, and near-silent when shooting stills; we've seen no obvious problems with accuracy either. Likewise the OS system is silent in operation, and works generally very well; we generally got about three stops worth of stabilisation out of it (although as usual, it's best to take a few replicate shots when relying on OS for sharpness).

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma-17-70mm-f2-8-4-os-hsm

Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM C is a very versatile, well-built standard zoom lens that delivers excellent image quality and offers the bonus of good macro performance too, all at a surprisingly affordable price.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sigma_17_70mm_f2_8_4_dc_macro_os_hsm_c_review/

nikon_v22.jpg
    800 x 535 - 83K
  • Firmware update

• It has ensured compatibility with Canon’s in-camera Lens Aberration Correction function, which enables correction matching the optical characteristics of the attached lens. **
    • It has corrected the phenomenon that abnormal images appear or operation errors occur when Canon’s in-camera Lens Aberration Correction function is enabled.

** EOS-1DX mark II, EOS 5Ds, EOS 5DsR, EOS 5D mark IV, EOS 6D mark II, EOS 80D, EOS 8000D (EOS Rebel T6s, EOS 760D), EOS 9000D (EOS 77D), EOS Kiss X8i (EOS Rebel T6i, EOS 750D), EOS Kiss X9i (EOS Rebel T7i, EOS 800D), EOS Kiss X9 (EOS Rebel SL2, EOS 200D)