Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Mac Mini - meet the bad cooling with premium pricing
  • Cranked up fan speeds (you wanted thin and small case? No? Fuck you!)

• $800 for Core i3 /8GB / 128 soldered SSD (price of Ryzen 8 core desktop with 16GB RAM/480GB SSD if you look carefully for deal)
    sa5396.jpg
    733 x 486 - 32K
  • 36 Replies sorted by
  • I suppose we all need a good laugh, are there any USER SERVICEABLE components?

Or is that the $1199 external GPU...

• The best news about this? It will make the older Mac Mini models even cheaper on eBay.

As sometimes I toy with the idea of buying an older Mac Mini (modded to 12V DC) to use with BoomRecorder for a sound cart set up.

• @IronFilm

Older Mac Mini is quite crappy slow thing. I see exactly zero reason to look for it instead of good cheap Windows small PCs.

• @IronFilm for true portability check out DAW’s running on RPi, or other such devices. (Maybe not able to run boom recorder, but I’m sure there is something else...)

On topic: there is a part of me that is very happy that Apple actually “updated” the MacMini. at least now it’s useable again.

• The new MacMini now has a security chip, called the T2 (Terminator 2?) which will block all unsigned operating systems from running. Limited currently to MacOS & Windows, no ability to run any Linux / UNIX based OS. (Ironic as MacOS is itself a POSIX OS)

Source: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Apple-T2-Blocks-Linux-UEFI

• @alcomposer

Apple also stated that they will use T2 at an any time to block all unauthorized repairs.

• Cooling not so bad as I though

Yet usage of notebooks approach in such design is quite strange.

sa5519.jpg
    800 x 539 - 47K
    sa5520.jpg
    800 x 429 - 47K
  • Re: T2, Intel have had this feature for a while, it’s called ME:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Management_Engine

Not that there are many repairs one can do on a CPU, but ME gives intel complete control over your computer, including network etc.

Google have even deceloped a way to disable ME on their servers it was such a security concern.

• Windows alternative in similar form factor

I just got same 8G / 128 SSD config (that is quite stupid to get for Windows thing as it is fully standard parts).

Note - CPU here is no competition, as Windows machine has top mobile 6 core CPU.

For example - no ram / no storage is $437

$56 for 8Gb DDR, around $75 for 500GB Samsung SSD makes it $568.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Partaker-B18-DDR4-Coffee-Lake-8th-Gen-Mini-PC-Intel-Core-i7-8750H-32GB-RAM-Intel/32952147981.html

If you so like FCP X install Hackintosh on this.

sa5551.jpg
    800 x 324 - 42K
    sa5552.jpg
    800 x 313 - 43K
  • Bad cooling still, throttles like mad

• I see exactly zero reason to look for it instead of good cheap Windows small PCs.

The only reason for me would be to use BoomRecorder on a DC converted Mac Mini

The new MacMini now has a security chip, called the T2 (Terminator 2?) which will block all unsigned operating systems from running. Limited currently to MacOS & Windows, no ability to run any Linux / UNIX based OS. (Ironic as MacOS is itself a POSIX OS)

Kinda surprised they're allowing Windows?

• @IronFIlm

You mean http://www.vosgames.nl/products/BoomRecorder/ ?

I just see no reason why they can't make such software run under Windows.

Also good Gemini Lake box can do this all.

• Latest thermal issues show problems in engineering and that management is able to shut good people down

• Kinda surprised they're allowing Windows?

@IronFilm Microsoft owns 0.0046% of Apple, (it was much higher at one stage). However, Apple has allowed and endorsed the use of BootCamp as a feature for quite a while. The 'easy' ability of Apple hardware to run windows is used when software is not MacOS compatible: "Just install Windows..." as well... :-/

• You mean http://www.vosgames.nl/products/BoomRecorder/ ?

Yes.

I just see no reason why they can't make such software run under Windows.

People could, but they *don't"

Because the market niche is far too small to support a multitude of options. BoomRecorder is not just the "best" option, it kinda is the only option. (there is Metacorder though, but also for Mac)

• People could, but they don't".

Because the market niche is far too small to support a multitude of options.

I am lost here. What exactly "multitude of options"? As only thing that differ is actual recorder and it is same set for Mac and PC. If they so want they can limit compatibility with Windows 10 only.

In reality all this can be done on simple Gemini Lake Windows box. So for them it is huge chance.

• Return to alternatives, now with i7 8550U, note that this is 4 core/8thread CPU and thermal package is smaller than 8750H

Best idea is to buy RAM and SSD on place as they are dropping fast now and seller also want to get their part on them.

Active cooled without RAM and storage will be $306 (with coupons)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-DDR4-with-Fan-Mini-PC-Support-Max-16G-RAM-8th-Gen-CPU-Intel-Core/32873677011.html

Passive cooled will be for $329 with coupons

SD card reader, more USB 3.0 ports, output for two monitors.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8th-Gen-Mini-PC-Intel-Core-i7-8550U-Quad-Core-4-0GHz-8MB-Cache-Fanless-Mini/32914454367.html

sa5678.jpg
    800 x 382 - 50K
    sa5679.jpg
    800 x 387 - 57K
  • I am lost here. What exactly "multitude of options"? As only thing that differ is actual recorder and it is same set for Mac and PC. If they so want they can limit compatibility with Windows 10 only.

In reality all this can be done on simple Gemini Lake Windows box. So for them it is huge chance.

Pro PSMs working from a sound cart is a very very very small niche market.

By multitude of options I meant more than Boomrecorder/Metacorder which we've already got.

I don't see anybody rushing to develop this software for windows.

At best I could hope for is perhaps if someone heavily customizes Reaper to support the niche needs of production sound for tv/film, then we'd have a good option for windows. But until then, a DC converted Mac Mini is the way to go.

• I don't see anybody rushing to develop this software for windows.

You can just talk to developers. Porting such software is less than one month for few good developers.

Can check our deals, good Gemini Lake box that can do all you need cost $160.

• A month of work from a skilled developer can't be recouped in sales to the small niche market which is cart based PSMs.

That was my point from the start

• A month of work from a skilled developer can't be recouped in sales to the small niche market which is cart based PSMs.

For now this developers make nothing for months and exactly - sit in their tiny Mac niche.

That was my point from the start

You point is bad, and developers are quite stupid not understanding mini computers market.

Yes, long time ago Mac Mini had been capable and quite unique, but this days are long gone.

• So Apple is running its own proprietary version of Unix on closed hardware. Why is this such a big deal? If you don't like it, don't buy it. I've never understood publicly hating a product, such as the new Nikon Z cameras.

"Older Mac Mini is quite crappy slow thing. I see exactly zero reason to look for it instead of good cheap Windows small PCs."

That is crap. I own a 2011 Mac Mini server, which I have upgraded to 16 GB RAM and two SSD's. It is not slow. Other filmmakers have been pleasantly surprised at its render speed running FCPX. Its only weakness is a slow video card. I get it about locked-down Apple RAM, but replacing RAM in a Mac is not without pitfalls. I personally know of users who have experienced kernel panics after adding RAM from OWC. The Kingston RAM I installed is flawless. I won't be upgrading to the new Mini because I want faster graphics and I don't want to mess with an external graphics card.
    When I upgrade, it will be to (a) a 21" iMac with maximum RAM, SSD, and graphics card, the most bang for the buck in the Apple line, or (b) the upcoming Mac Pro, if I can afford it.

If you want to run Linux, why would you consider a Mac anyway?

• So Apple is running its own proprietary version of Unix on closed hardware. Why is this such a big deal? If you don't like it, don't buy it. I've never understood publicly hating a product, such as the new Nikon Z cameras.

Where you saw "publically hating" here?

Here above we have discussion that it is big money waste for the purpose of specific software.

Considering Linux @alcomposer must love it :-) And it was in context of adding new T2 chip that will also make your own repairs much more costly.

That is crap.

No, it is not crap. Whole point is that with recent speed and problems with engineers being driven by marketing guys Apple lost most of their advantages. And actually they don't give a fuck about x86 software anymore anyway, you'll be even more badly surprised in coming months, and extremely badly surprised in 2019.

In China it is some rumors that Xiaomi is preparing Mac Mini alternative and will introduce it early 2019. And one of their point is fluent Hackintosh install by one click even for inexperienced consumer. So, just wait a little.

• Superior competitor sale (best small size box now)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102201

sa5726.jpg
    800 x 289 - 29K