Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Syncing gh2 & audio recorder using remote ?
  • hi all first of all, thank you all for all the great info that you share.... and thanks to vitaly for the effort first post here... lets go: gh2 has a remote input, and some audio recorders too (like, for ex., one that i'm following, marantz pmd661)... it would be posible to build something that can make that both devices starts to record at the same time from just one bottom? probably, sometimes, you will have to make little retouches to sync in post, but, at least, you will never forget to push both rec buttons, and you always gonna have the same number of clips (video, audio), so syncing in pospo will be easier can be done? what do you think? i found it very useful in some works (working alone, documentary shooting...) ...

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • I believe you would still need to sync it, because GH2 takes a while until really starts recording... but it is good to "not forget" to turn on the other recorder.

I guess a simple push button connected to both devices should work. I would order a remote for GH2 and check how is it connected & then wire it up to recorder as well.

• yeah, sure, i will have to sync, but at least is gonna be in a more logical & secure way (same numeber of files, etc...) i can see that gh2 delays a little bit when you hit the record buttom... it would be interesting to see if there is always the same amount of delay

i like your "simple" solution. i thought about it too... it would be a funny device ¡¡¡ please, keep us informed...

ps. have you seen the specs of the incoming device from fostex, DC-R302? they are thinking on sync issues too ("Auto Slate Tone function convenient for start sync at editing", "wired remote controller for simultaneous start with video recording") (http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/latest_news/EFpkuAAElFRSSZGVPA.shtml)

• I have the marantz 661 and in the manual there is a diagram of the remote. I did a fast snap shot, here you go, hope it helps. I don´t know if gh1 remote is the same for gh2: http://www.instructables.com/id/Panasonic-G1-GH1-Remote-Shutter-Release/ combining those 2 you have a switch

marantz661.jpg
    2583 x 1225 - 508K
  • IMHO, the best option for syncing to an external recording is a low quality audio recording with the built-in microphone in the GH2 and using PluralEyes.

• Thats true, really amazing software. Fire & forget! You could also combine both methods, so you get the exact same number of files for video and audio and let Plural Eyes just do the last second. Could make it work faster and more reliable.

• I hate to admit it, but I like using a slate. You can add whatever information you want for logging and the sync is perfect. I've had a lot of problems with PluralEyes when the camera and recorder audio are different--which happens a lot, especially when the camera is far from the action. Also, GH2 audio sync is not perfect. Audio leads video by a frame or two, which PluralEyes can't correct.

• In the late nineties I edited 16mm documentaries. The sound guy jumped into the frame and tapped on his mic for a slate. Once they recorded a 15-minute speech, but only about 30 seconds of film and forgot the slate. Took two days to figure out the sync...

I already thought about cracking up my Zoom H4 and adding some wire/wignal from the GH2´s remote to the H4 record button´s circuitry. But the H4´s record button has to be pressed twice to start a recording. So I guess we have to think first about a professional recorder which uses one button for instant recording and stop/pause (and might have a remote) and ignores the half-way pushed button of the GH2 for AF. I also guess it would end up in a DIY-remote, with one button mechanically pressing two tactile switches to trigger two independent circuitries, one for the GH2, one for the audio recorder. Also look here: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/37555#Comment_37555