Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Intel Optane SSD 58GB for $100

Use coupon EMCSPURX2

Very good as editing drive, much faster in real work compared to any SSD.

You can use it on Ryzen also - https://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/19701/fuzedrive-ryzen-friendly-soft-for-dram-ssd-or-optane-cache-#Item_4

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-167-452

sa3437.jpg
    486 x 377 - 27K
  • 10 Replies sorted by
  • Too small.

• @tonalt

Clearly not large. But it is more than hour of 100Mbit video if you use it alone.

If you are making weddings or long interviews - use it as cache for your editing drive.

• For almost same price you get over 4 times bigger, and much faster and newer drive https://www.amazon.de/Samsung-MZ-V7E250BW-970-EVO-Interne/dp/B07CGGNX7S/

• @tonalt

It is one problem, it is slower (in any real task besides copy of big file).

Before writing, dig up about Optane drives and how they differ.

• Samsung is 3300 / 2500 and Intel is only 1450 / 640.

• @tonalt

It is never bad to read post before reply.

• Tonalt it's only 3300/2500 for the SLC cache size (which is only 13GB on that 250GB EVO drive you linked). That high speed cache then writes to the much slower TLC cells in the drive at a pretty abysmal rate. So if you write a 4GB file to the drive it'll be very quick. If you try to write a 50GB file to it it'll transfer quick for a while and then drop all the way down below ~300MB/s for the remainder of the transfer.

The 970 Pro drive is all MLC which will sustain it's high read and write speeds for the entire capacity of the drive.

• I've been meaning to play with these as slog devices on my NAS. It's using ZFS on FreeBSD. The write endurance of 3d xpoint is potentially desirable for that sort of thing (and they estimate the lifespan to be 5 years of writes of 200gb/day which is way more than I tend to write). 3d xpoint also has the advantage of writing/erasing pretty fast compared with mlc - another thing that tends to be great on an slog device.

A sale seems like a great time to give it a shot - and I think I have two open m.2 slots on my NAS motherboard...

In real tasks performance is much more defined by 4K QD1, for editors it is mix of 4K QD1-QD4 and sequential read, but due to architecture of NLEs sequential read is not much important for anything besides 6-8K raw.

sa3439.jpg
    646 x 347 - 54K
    sa3440.jpg
    643 x 327 - 51K
  • Mine showed up so I installed them in my nas. It wasn't until I tried running a benchmark copying files to the nas that I remembered that zil devices only come into play on sync writes. Since most things (like copying files from my desktop) are written async OK, the log device isn't getting used at all. Ergh.

I guess I have a couple of pretty fast boot devices for bare metal linux systems now, though. :-/