Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GVB Gear Compact - same as Aputure M9, deal for $24
  • 1 Reply sorted by
  • I picked a few of these up since they're so cheap. I now have all of the compact lights I'll ever need (until the Amaran MX ships and then I might need one or two more)...

Anyway, I haven't put it next to an M9 to check the brightness, but the GVB light is pretty bright. It seemed a little brighter to me than I remember my M9's being - which would make some sense since it has 12 lights to the 9 on the M9. I think I also like the GVB shoe/tripod mount more than the one that comes with the Amaran. They end up taking about the same amount of space in the bag, but the GVB one is a little more flexible and should be easier to replace if I lose/break it.

The GVB may also survive better during prolonged use, especially in warm areas - it has more ventilation holes in it.

Absolutely unimportant difference: The Amaran M9 comes with a piece of tissue paper (for additional diffusion), a warming gel, and a cooling gel. The GVB only comes with the cooling gel.