Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
My first short Film with GH2 and Switar 26mm F 1.1 hacked
  • Hi everyone,

this is my first post, and my first short film using a GH2 and a 40 + year old switar 26mm lens, there is some minor vignetting in the corners on bright scenes, it has been hacked and is shooting at around 60 mbits variable depending on scene

the film is 3 minutes long and its about a young woman with Down Syndrome, and the realisation that her 75 year old adopted father may have to place her into full time care as he struggles to cope with the issues of careing for her, its more a visual poem, and suitable for all age groups

I have entered it in the shooting people film of the month, every viewing helps to keep me on the leader board, you can't vote if your not a fully paid up member, but just veiwing would be much appreciated and it helps me keep up the list, link is below, its called Michelle, and it was all shot in Ireland

any feedback would be welcome

thanks Mark

• 1 Reply sorted by
  • Hey Mark,

Interesting work. The images are very strong, especially the portrait-style shots (like at 1:38!) and the rack-focus at 1:40, which actually works as a storytelling device and adds a real sense of depth to the shot.

As a short it didn't completely work for me - I feel like the text titles detract from the emotion and the looping of the Chopin nocturne is distracting - I'd rather just hear it play out in full.

I also have a weird thing with sliders in the sense that they almost always take me out of what I'm watching and just make me think of gear reviews. I suppose it's because they almost never seem to be used for any real reason, other than to do 'something different' in a given shot, but there's just something cheesy about them a lot of the time.

But your compositions and lighting were great here, some shots really knocked me out, so do keep up the good work! I liked your piece enough to watch it through a couple times and comment so I think you are on the right track, even if I'm being picky about things. Most stuff I see online doesn't hold my interest enough to write anything.