Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
50mm T0.95 SLR Magic paper announce
  • So this is the new 50mm T0.95 from SLR Magic. Most probably, another loved, personal lense, such as Voigtlander's 25mm before it. Beware, it's also a heavy one, as it's made for Leica M mount. Not without issues, it's T0.95. Watching the vid, you might see some optical issues, just as it happens with Voigtlanders 25mm: purple fringing and glow. The vid was recorded all at T0.95, so probably it gets better stopped down a bit. Its bokeh is quite a personal one, you might love it, you might see it too weird.

Conclusion? A really personal lense, but anyway, really interesting for its low-light capabilites.

Technical Data:

SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 50mm T0.95

Lens Type: Fast normal lens with seven Tantalum glass elements to ensure superior cinematic performance.

Compatible Cameras: All RangeFinder M mount, LM mount for cinematography, E-mount, and micro four thirds cameras.
    Optical Design: 12 elements in 7 groups
    Distance Settings:
    Distance range: 0.70m to ∞, combined scale meter/feet
    Aperture: Manually controlled diaphragm,
    12 aperture blades (circular), Lowest value 16
    Bayonet: M-mount, E-mount, micro four thirds
    Filter Mount: 62mm; filter mount does not rotate.
    Surface Finish: Black anodized
    Dimensions:
    Length to bayonet mount: approx. 95mm (approx. 3.74in) without hood
    approx. 110mm (approx. 4.33in) with retractable hood
    Largest diameter: approx. 73mm (approx. 2.87in)
    Weight: approx. 975g (approx. 34.39oz)

(WILL ADD PRICE WHEN ITS KNOWN, AS WELL AS OTHER VIDS OR PICTURES WHENEVER THEY ARE UPLOADED)
  • 6 Replies sorted by
  • First. Add data to the post.
    Second. Topic will be closed soon, as it seems like paper announce.
    Will be reopened in time this lens become actually available.
    Third. Why do we need M Mount lenses? Because Chinese factory make one?
  • Fourth: I really dislike the look and extreme purple fringing
    Fifth: the bokeh is really weird,the lights have some sort of double circle look I dislike.
    If he was pulling his own focus well done, but if he had a focus puller it just goes to show how hard it will be doing it at 0.95 (T) with any motion.
    Honestly, I wish the big companies tried to make something this fast, with OS and good coatings...
  • First. OK. Until september there's a bunch of time.

Second. OK, but it's not what has happened thus far in the forums, I've seen all kind of rumours, and this ain't even a rumour. 3 days ago there was a press release, SLR Magic is a well known company, and I'm just a simple guy far away in the Canary Islands not at all related to them nor Seb Farges. I don't care if you erase the post at all, but there's no need to be rude. Plus I don't like at all taking grants for other's work that's why I didn't add the data. You ask me for it then I'll put it. But I remember there was a post with 12mm f1.6 from the same company a lot of time before it was released. Indeed, it hasn't been released yet. But the post is there. Don't know what's the problem now with this one.

Third. 50mm T0.95 seems like a lens people might like, just as they adore Voigtlander's 25 f0.95. Plus this vid was recorded with a GH2, and SLR Magic lenses are usually not that expensive, and quite loved here. M mount lenses, or Nikon F lenses, who cares? People like lenses that look and sound cinematic. That's what this looks like. I don't know why SLR Magic made it an M-mount, but they are looking towards a cinematic feeling for as far as I've read, and mention M43 all the way through. Plus there's the vid confirming it.

There was no intention in messing you up or whatever. Indeed I much apreciate your work, and have already donated for that matter. Just thought people would like to see the vid and know about the lense, that's it. I'll just stay in the shadows next time if this is such a bad thing.

I repeat I have no interest at all Vitaliy. If you prefere deleting it until then, that's it. All I wanted to do is let people know it'll be there sooner or later. But don't be so harsh on me, for that one time I wanted to post something.

Happy new year and delete this and further replies if there are to be more. I'll add the data later for september if you think I shall procide that way.
  • @Raysito22

I didn't say that I'l delete this or something.
    I also got the press release 1 Jan, and refused to publish it.

>But I remember there was a post with 12mm f1.6 from the same company a lot of time before it was released. Indeed, it hasn't been released yet. But the post is there. Don't know what's the problem now with this one.

Yep. And I make conclusions from this. As in the time no one could expect that lens will be delayed, delayed again and again.

I also tried to ask them about actual designers and actual makers of this lenses.
    And got no response.

I'l close this topic tomorrow and reopen after final price and release date will be fully known.
  • I agree with AllensWrench. I was just saying, that isn't there some strange glow/ghosting around bright objects? and bokeh looks weird... :/
  • I don't know if I should answer to those comments, but I will...voigtlander 25mm has a lot of optical issues wide open, a lot of glow and purple fringing, and also bokeh is quite unique. But even so, people love it (and so do I). I guess we shall wait until it's released, but all the shots were taken at T0.95, or so seb ferges says. So it might get a little better stopped down. Though the wierd bokeh is kind of the look Slr Magic has looked for, that won't change obviously...it's quite a personal lens. Still, I kinda like its "personality". I like analytical lenses too, but sometimes, they're too boring. Helios 44-2 with its strange bokeh, is a really loved lense. Most probably the next one for my rig.

BTW allenswrench, I hope that too, but we only have this options in the market for the moment. Lets hope Olympus and/or Pana see how much people like Voigtlander's 25mm and make something like that but with a more "analytical" image quality. I'd buy that too. Each lense gives us a different feeling depending on the optical design so...it's just a matter of taste wether one likes it or not.

PS: I'ma redo the post as you asked Vitaly. Please erase the personal answer I gave you. I totally understand you don't want this kind of "hype-maker" posts due to SLR Magic's bad support and, lets say it, lies. That seems fare to me, but I didn't realize and up to that day, until I read it on Vimeo, I didn't even know the 12mm had been delayed without a word from SLR Magic.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions